2012 Kia Optima Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid:

2012 Kia Optima Hybrid Owner Comments

Dec 142015

Optima Hybrid

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Optima hybrid. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated while in park and crashed into a garage door, without any warning. The contact reversed the vehicle and placed the vehicle in park. The contact mentioned when exiting the vehicle, it began to shake, jerk and attempted to accelerate. The vehicle was restarted however, the failure occurred on three occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Manteca, CA, USA

May 152015

Optima Hybrid

Purchased the car used at 25000 miles from a dealership. Car was fine, smooth for about 10 months. Did oil changes as usual. Noticed some jerking recently when I would come to a complete stop but didn't really bother me at first. Then I noticed it was having trouble accelerating from a complete stop. It would sometimes take 3+ seconds for it to respond and start moving. The more I would come to a complete stop (bumper to bumper traffic) it would take longer to respond to accelerate. Couple days ago, I did the maintenance 30K service. I thought it would solve the problem but it still did its thing. I had the "hybrid system warning! safely stop and do not drive" message happen twice..once after the maintenance. I took it back to Kia and fortunately the guy did a test drive and replicated the issue with the lag. He also replicated the hybrid system warning message as well. I now have a loaner. Not sure how long it'll take but from the sounds of it from this forum, they dont know whats wrong. Hopefully I dont have to buy a new car =/ anyone with questions, email me at

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 302014

Optima Hybrid 4-cyl

While trying to accelerate, the car randomly has a 2-3 second delay before action. When the problem occurs, the car will coast out into traffic, which may be moving at high speeds. This leaves me exposed to getting hit on a frequent, but irregular basis, and I am afraid to drive the vehicle. The car can also have jerky motions and lunges when accelerating from a stop on an incline, posing a danger to pedestrians and cars nearby.

- Georgetown, TX, USA