9.3

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid:

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Owner Comments

May 242014

Optima Hybrid

Shortly after purchase took a trip to Texas to see my daughter. On three separate occasions on that trip; was going down the interstate with the cruise control set, all of the sudden it started accelerating all on it's own... the 1st time I questioned if I had accidently bumped something, the 2nd also and the 3rd allowed it to act on its own and before I knew it was almost 100mph. Thankfully the brake engages.. when I returned home I immediately took it in for check and was told they could not recreate the problem so nothing could be done.. it is currently at the dealer for the 5th occasion regarding the same issue.. I am afraid for my safety and the safety of others having this issue. I have been told if they can not recreate the issue there is nothing they can repair..

- Muscatine, IA, USA

May 292014

Optima Hybrid 4-cyl

This hybrid has a very dangerous hesitation on driver's request for any significant acceleration. Regardless of if the car is stationary or at speed a request for any sudden acceleration is met by a very significant hesitation before any noticable response is made. That is for all speeds and conditions. This both with the "eco" function engaged or disengaged. That is not safe.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Jan 282014

Optima Hybrid 4-cyl

To whom it concerns, I have a great safety concern related to the optima 2013 hybrid braking system. I am not sure if the behavior I am going to describe is typical or defective. When traveling at speed, with the cruise set, I find that any sudden and hard hit to the brakes will activate some type of automatic braking system. The braking system feels like ABS and sounds very mechanical however the braking system does not deactivate after I remove my foot from the brake. The system continues to automatically reduces the car to a nearly complete stop (less than 15mph) without me having my foot on the brake. This has occurred multiple times, the most recent was 4/10/14. Earlier today I was traveling 50 mph on the highway, with the cruise set, when it appeared a person was going to walk into the highway. I hit the brakes hard to avoid the pedestrian, who eventually did not enter the road. The situation was not worthy of coming to a complete stop however the automatic braking system I described above activated. I removed my foot from the brake but the braking system continued to bring the car to a speed less than 15 mph. The vehicles behind me, understandably, had to slam on their brakes to avoid me as I could not speed back up until the system resumed to normal operation. Please let me know if this is typical operation or a potential defect. I feel this could be life threatening. Should I have to hit my brakes and this system activates, I could be severely rear-ended. Thank you.

- Silver Spring , MD, USA