3.1

2005 Kia Rio engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Kia Rio:

2005 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Feb 192009

Rio

My Kia Rio died in the middle of the street. It wouldn't turn over so I had it towed to the dealer. They reported that the engine needs to be replaced at a cost of $6000. The car is still under the 100,000 mile warranty since it only has 80,000 miles on it. The dealer is refusing to honor the warranty, saying that maintenance issues caused the failure. Kia is defrauding the american public by stating it has a 100,000 mile warranty that it does not honor.

- Olmsted Falls, OH, USA

Sep 142007

Rio 4-cyl

My son was driving his 2005 Kia Rio home from work one night when the car stalled. He was able to get it into a parking lot where one of our county sheriffs tried to give him a jump. The car would not turn over. My son took the car to the dealership on Monday. He was told that the warranty had been denied due to lack of maintenance. Their definition of that was my son went over on two oil changes. I do not understand where two oil changes would cause a car to lock up. Because of the two oil changes Kia will not look at the car. They are making us take the piece of junk they sold us to another dealership and have them look at it to see what is wrong with the car. It has been sitting on their lot for 2 weeks now. I have called their Consumer Affairs department and there again they were no help. So now I take the car to another dealership to find out what is the matter with it because Kia wont even look at there own car. I am not being told what is and is not covered under warranty. In June of this year my son was told that there was a lower bearing knock in his car. He called the service manager at the dealership who never returned his call to discuss it. It that is what has happened to the car then it has nothing to do with an oil change it is the oil pump which is their problem and they aren't going to fix it. Buyers beware if you buy a Kia and go over on any of your oil changes they will not cover your car under warranty due to lack of maintenance. They will get you in their showroom to buy their cars because the warranty is so great and then they don't want to cover it if something happens to the car. That car was the biggest mistake I have ever made in a vehicle purchase.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Jul 182005

Rio 4-cyl

The caller said the vehicle loses power when accelerating. Heit only happens when vehicle accelerates from a standstill. No lights come on to let him know this is going to happen. Vehicle does it after it warns up. He said the more he drives it the worse it gets. Hthe vehicle stalls when coming to a stop. This happens randomly and with no warning. He has taken it to the dealer three times, and they said there was nothing wrong with it, and it was a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Manufacturer said it needsedto be duplicated by an authorized technician.

- Masa, AZ, USA