Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The only reason we don't give the 2009 Kia Rio our top award is because of poor side & rear crash test ratings.

2009 Kia Rio fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Rio:

2009 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Sep 082009

First please read or review the past emails I have sent to you concerning my 2009 Rio having a high RPM while in 4th gear and especially 5th running more than 3,100 to 3,500 rpms to run at 60 to 70 mph. In other words I am getting less mpgs on the highway than I get in town. See the attachment. My wife's Hyundai sonata that is fully loaded, which is heavier and has a larger 4 cylinder engine with automatic transmission. The sonata gets less mpgs in the city but better mpgs on the highway than my little Rio. In fact the numbers are almost in reverse because the sonata is running at far less rpms at the same rate of speeds I drive in the Rio. The sonata runs at about 2200 to 2500 rpms on the highways at 60 to 70 mph verse the 3,000 to 3,500 rpms the Rio must turn to do the same speed.

- Rhome, TX, USA