2012 Kia Rio electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Rio:

2012 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Sep 032016

Driving car at about 60 mph and car began to smoke. Got out on side of highway lifted hood and everything was on fire. People assing by along with hero and fire dept made sure flames were put out. I never made any modification to vehicle and we keep it serviced. Feel like problems are with manufacture wiring. I have done insurance claim and contacted manufacture. The miles are aprox 102K

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

May 142012

When I put my car in drive or park my doors automatic lock or unlock. Several times it neither locked or unlocked when put in park or drive.I took it to the dealership several times of course it did not malfunction then.I called Kia corporate office but no recalls or complaints were found.I believe it is a safety issue if my doors not unlocking

- Amelia, VA, USA

Oct 072014

This car has a tendency to rev up to the red line on the tach - sometimes when you start it, sometimes when you are in traffic, sometimes when you are stopped at a traffic signal. I have witnesses to this fact and it is making me feel very unsafe when I am driving it. I almost got in two accidents because of this condition. It may appear if I am driving down the highway a couple times this occurred and the only way that this is remedied is turning off the ignition and restarted it, sometimes you have to do this 2 or 3 times. Other times it will happen when you start the engine it will go right to the top of the tach if you do not turn off ignition. It has also happened at a traffic light stop I felt the car increasing in revs while I was stopped, thank god I turned off the ignition before it crashed into the car in front of me. I have idea when it will occur. I looked on the web and found other instances of Kia owners having the same problem. It has been back at the dealership where I purchased it, twice, new and they tell me they cannot change any parts unless the problem can be duplicated. I filed a complaint with Kia on line and no response except take it back to the dealer! I want the problem repaired I do not care what they have to do to make it safe as it stands now it is a hazard to drive and an accident waiting to happen! it sometimes also feels like you have speed control as you are going down the highway it will speed up. I just want it repaired!

- Hazle Township, PA, USA

Feb 242014

Rio 4-cyl

My 2012 Kia Rio caught fire the other day. I pulled into the driveway, went into the house to put my laptop down. I had shut the car off. Came back out to grab some stuff from the trunk and the car was smoking from the hood. Thought it had overheated. Pulled hood release and went to open the hood when I realized flames were coming from the right side of the engine area. Tried putting the fire out with a garden hose & was instructed by 911 to get away from the vehicle. Car ended up bursting into flames. Fire department had to come and extinguish. Called Kia and they are taking their time at responding. I am concerned that this may be a bigger problem and effect more people. Putting lives at risk for injury and possible death.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Jun 222012

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Rio. The contact stated that at engine startup, all of the electrical components failed to work the vehicle was taken to the dealer four times for the same failure. The dealer confirmed that an electrical fire had occurred in the steering column. The manufacturer was contacted however, the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,315 and the current mileage was 4,318.

- Urbandale, IA, USA