2014 Kia Rio drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Rio:

2014 Kia Rio Owner Comments

May 192016

Rio

I was driving down a Suburban street when my car engine caught on fire. I was able to stop and get out of the car safely. Although I had put the car in park and used the emergency brake, it rolled down the street until it hit a telephone pole, which it set on fire. The fire was primarily on the driver's side of the car. I had no reason to expect this fire to happen. A firefighter told me it should not have happened, and to do my due diligence.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Nov 082015

Rio

This is now my second complaint regarding my 2014 Kia Rio, for the same issue, happening within a span of two weeks. The first incident occurred on thur, 10/29/15. This second incident occurred on Monday, 11/08/15. Once again, my car, while it was running and in park, slipped out of gear and into drive. This time, I was out of the vehicle for up to 4 minutes (inside of a disabled customers house, out of sight from th vehicle). I returned to find my car in drive. Luckily, affter the 10/129 incident where it slipped out of gear, I have either been shutting my vehicle off (I try not to because of wear and tear on the starter) or I use the emergency brake. Luckily, I used the E-brake on 11/08, or else it would have crashed into another car. (the 10/29 incident, my car slipped out of gear, knocked me to the ground ran me over--injuring me and crashed into a parked vehicle. After the 10/29 incident, I went to the customers home, parked in the same spot (and a few others, brought the vehicle to a complete stop and took my foot off the brake but left it in drive (to see if it was my error). The vehicle immediately started to accelarrate from each test position, so if I woul dhave been my fault, odds are, my car would have met me at the customers door and not wait to minutes to run me over). I video-taped the tests. I am also having a hard time getting Kia on the phone, to get authorization to have the car checked out by the dealer

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 292015

Rio

I am a food delivery driver. I was making a delivery to a regular customer. I was outside his side door, talking. I was out of my 2014 Kia Rio for approximately 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes, talking with the customer. Suddenly, I am on the ground. I look to see a tires run over my foot. The customer chased after the car, it crashed intoo his parked car. That's when I noticed it was my car that ran me over. We called the oak creek police. Both the customer and I believe--due to the length of time I was out of the vehicle and talking to him--that the car (which was running) popped out of park and drove forward. I was approaximately 10-15 feet from the car when I was run over and his car was approximately 30 feet from my car. I went to the hospital; they believe I have a fracture to the head of my fibula (they only X-rayed from my right kneee down because that was what looked the worst). More injuries were suffered. I have to do a follow up with an orthopedic specialist on Nov 13th. I went back to the scene with my vid camera. Parked in the spot I was when the accident happened, took my foot off the brake and left it in drive. The car auotmaically accelerated. If it would have been my mistake and I accidentally left car in drive, it seems as if my car would have beat me to the customers door and I definitely would have noticed my car following me. No police report as of yet, but even the customer told the officer he believed the car had to have been in park and that it had slipped out of gear.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 062015

Rio

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Rio. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed and an unknown warning light illuminated for a month. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 14,150.

- Menifee, CA, USA