2007 Kia Rondo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Rondo:

2007 Kia Rondo Owner Comments

Aug 102014

To whom it may concern, on approximately, Sunday, August 10, 2014, I was driving my 2007 Kia Rondo and a man hit my bumper due to the fact he could not see my brake lights (due to the manufacturer's recalled parts; NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V114000 and 09V130000). I was unaware of the recalled product until yesterday, February 1, 2015, when I was doing a google search. This whole situation has really frightened me because I am essentially driving a ticking time bomb. The brake lights are out, and the red "air bag" light is on (therefore determining that the air bags do not work; NHTSA campaign number: 12V014000), and the yellow "ESC off" light is on, and does not go off. I have to continuously pop open the hood to reconnect the battery every other time attempt to turn the car on. I am a Monday-Friday 9-5 working 19 year old living on his own, and I am living to paycheck to paycheck. I am simply unable to pay for the damages due to the engineering by the manufacturer, and I am praying I will receive some type of compensation so I can have a reliable car for my daily life. Kind regards, a 2007 Kia Rondo owner

- Brandon, FL, USA

Dec 172014

While driving down the road at the indicated speed limit of 35 miles per hour, there was a loud thump and then my car stopped. Immediately, I was terrified. I didn't know what was going on. Someone pulled over to help me and I eased my car over to the side of the road with persons manually pushing the car because it would not start back up. I called for assistance and was towed home. Upon getting the car home, I was told that the engine is dead. I was shocked. I was told that I would end up having to replace the entire engine and that could be very expensive. My problem is that I was getting regular scheduled maintenance on the vehicle to include oil changes. I have no idea how a engine just blows like that without no warning light (electrical problem) coming on or anything. I just could not believe this. I started to do some research. I found several reports that the engine died in Kia Rondo models. I contacted Kia to ask them if they had looked into this since so many reports have been made. They informed me that they do not have to do anything because the NHTSA has not told them they had to. I then asked what about safety. I also said that this can cause fatalities because had I been on the highway and my car just stopped like that, I don't know what could have happened. This issue is occurring too often in this model of vehicle. And to be honest I think Kia is aware of this because they actually stopped making this model. Something needs to be done. What am I to do about my transportation now that this engine is dead"?" Kia needs to answer for this.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

May 232014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when the A/C was activated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the air compressor and the hose needed to be replaced and the system needed to be cleaned due to potential metal fragments. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, she turned on the air conditioner and air blew out of the vents at maximum velocity. The contact attempted to turn the air conditioner off, but it would not shut off. The contact also stated that the headlights and tail lights stopped illuminating. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and the manufacture was not notified. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage 59,000.the VIN was not available.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Aug 132008

Rondo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. He had continuous electrical failure with his vehicle. During the recent failure, the vehicle caught fire under the hood. The vehicle was pushed outside his garage in order to save his home from being burned. There was a short in the ABS module and the brakes failed. On several occasions, he also lost power on the electrical instrument panel. The dealer replaced the entire fuse panel and within three days, the failure recurred. The dealer stated that he would need authorization from the manufacturer before repairing the vehicle a second time. The manufacturer advised him that they had the right to make the repairs; however, the contact refused since previous attempts to repair the vehicle were unsuccessful. The current mileage was approximately 22,000 and the failure mileage was approximately 1,485. Updated 02/05/09. The consumer stated the ABS light illuminated. When he applied the brake, it went to the floor. The wiring in the dash shorted out on several occasions. Updated 02/10/09.

- Merrimac, MA, USA