2007 Kia Rondo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Rondo:

2007 Kia Rondo Owner Comments

Sep 042015

The fuel pump assembly stop working, it would only work long enough to get it moving then stall. This is a hazard because it can stall in the middle of the road.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jun 092014

Got notice from Kia about undercoating rusting brake line. How about the fact that I have a rusting oil pan which is leaking oil.

- Westland, MI, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Canton, TX, USA

Jul 142015

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. While driving approximately 40 mph with the accelerator pedal depressed, the vehicle jerked abruptly and the vehicle continued to move forward at a slower speed. The contact stated that the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the wheel speed and oxygen sensors failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 112010

About 3 months after I purchased my Kia Rondo I noticed that every time I filled the tank there was a problem.for the last 5 years I have replaced a sensor every year to turn the check engine light of due to this problem. After putting gas in my tank all hell breaks loose. The tank begins to gargle the has the car revs high N then low until it shuts off and if I can get it on again it will rev high N low again while driving until it ahuta off in middle of road while driving. I've learned how to manage it but I don't think that when a car costs you 15 grand U should ha E to deal with what I believe to be a defect in the car.

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Apr 042015

Rondo 6-cyl

I was in a car accident and I rear ended an at&T utility truck.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Mar 292015

My 2007 Rondo has been acting up, will not start directly after getting gas. My check engine light is on. Yesterday I did not get gas, however it stalled while I was driving and would not start as it does when I get gas. I fortunately was at an intersection. If it had stalled a little farther up the road I would have been rear ended as there was a car directly behind me. I have previously replaced the purge valve solenoid as suggested, no difference. Why is the 2.7 Rondo not recalled for this as the 2.4 engine was?

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Dec 172014

While driving down the road at the indicated speed limit of 35 miles per hour, there was a loud thump and then my car stopped. Immediately, I was terrified. I didn't know what was going on. Someone pulled over to help me and I eased my car over to the side of the road with persons manually pushing the car because it would not start back up. I called for assistance and was towed home. Upon getting the car home, I was told that the engine is dead. I was shocked. I was told that I would end up having to replace the entire engine and that could be very expensive. My problem is that I was getting regular scheduled maintenance on the vehicle to include oil changes. I have no idea how a engine just blows like that without no warning light (electrical problem) coming on or anything. I just could not believe this. I started to do some research. I found several reports that the engine died in Kia Rondo models. I contacted Kia to ask them if they had looked into this since so many reports have been made. They informed me that they do not have to do anything because the NHTSA has not told them they had to. I then asked what about safety. I also said that this can cause fatalities because had I been on the highway and my car just stopped like that, I don't know what could have happened. This issue is occurring too often in this model of vehicle. And to be honest I think Kia is aware of this because they actually stopped making this model. Something needs to be done. What am I to do about my transportation now that this engine is dead"?" Kia needs to answer for this.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

May 012014

Rondo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that the oil pan corroded and fractured causing oil to leak. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the metal oil pan needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 03/04/15 updated 10/8/2015

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Oct 102014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed intermittently. The contact also stated that the passenger side tail light failed. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The failures occurred on numerous occasions. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V114000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jun 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had to make numerous attempts to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions. The dealer stated that the A/C belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 47,029.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 092014

Rondo 4-cyl

Two times my engine died while driving in icy whether. This occurred when the wheels were spinning, it sounded as if some system was trying to stop the spin. The first time I was driving approx. 25 miles per hour on level ground. The second time, approx. Two to four weeks later also in icy conditions on level ground, incident occurred when driving in reverse. That time I intentionally applied the gas hard to test try to get the tires to spin, and the car died within one second of leaving park. I anticipate this will happen again and hope this does not happen during rush hour when I feel there is a high probability I will get in an accident if I am unable to pull off the road.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jan 092014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle started to make a loud banging noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Perkiomenville, PA, USA

Jul 082013

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Rondo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the temperature gauge reading increased into the red zone with a constant noise of flowing coolant. The engine was turned off. The contact inspected under the hood and noticed that the engine had overheated. After waiting two hours for the engine to cool, the vehicle was driven cautiously and taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the radiator fan motor was replaced. The failure later recurred. The contact planned to take the vehicle back to the dealer. In addition, the stabilizer bar was faulty. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Mar 262012

Rondo 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway when exiting the vehicle shut off. I took it to the mechanic and explained what happen. They said they checked it and nothing was wrong it was just the air compression "which they fixed" but as soon as I went to the mall the stick shift jammed and I couldn't turn off the car. An officer helped me and said take it back to the mechanic. When I brought it back he said it moves fine there's nothing wrong. My car has been parked ever since this incident. Im afraid it will shut off and we might crash. Please help me thank you.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

Mar 242013

Rondo 4-cyl

Our engine blew up- specifically, the crankshaft broke through the 3rd cylinder. Vehicle was serviced by our Kia dealership in the middle of March - oil/filter change and inspection. The next week we left on vacation to Florida for a cruise. Vehicle was stored at a long term storage facility for the week. About 10 hours into our return road trip, we checked the oil level. Car was almost 2 quarts low. We added an additional quart. There is no indication on the dash that anything is wrong with the engine or the oil. We continued on our way. Another 5 hours into our trip, we are driving along with the cruise control set. The engine starts making loud knocking noises, I am unable to disengage the cruise control even though I am frantically pressing the brake. The engine is revving louder and louder until we hear a loud bang and the entire car looses power. We are past our 100,000 mile warranty with Kia. However, there are two factors at play here that can be contributed to the car damage: 1.) the oil was low after only 2-3 weeks after an oil/filter change. I believe the service technician may have some culpability here by not adding enough oil or not tightening a cap, etc. It doesn't make sense that the oil was low. 2.) I recently found out that there was a recall on the brake light for our 2007 Kia Rondo. That it may cause an inability to disengage the cruise control. In addition to my husband, we had another couple in the car with us who can attest to my frantic actions to disengage the cruise control. My online research has shown that Kia had a major problem with blown motors. They no longer make the engine for our vehicle. To fix this vehicle, it would have to be retrofitted with a current motor. This is very expensive. Obviously there is a reason why those motors aren't in production anymore. Why haven't they recalled these engines?

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 082013

Rondo 4-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Kia Rondo at highway speed with the cruise control on when the engine speed revved up dramatically-as if the transmission had disengaged. Stepped on the brakes, cruise disengaged and engine slowed. Around the same time, noticed the ABS and ESC off lights would come on intermittently, stay on, then not come on. At slow speed turns after the car set for a while, the ABS would engage on dry pavement (without light) and car did not slow normally. Went to dealer, who said the issue was a brake light switch, which was replaced and vehicle taken for a test drive. When I picked the car up, both the ABS and ESC off lights were off, but came on within minutes of leaving the lot. Later that night, ABS started acting up again-once without even stepping on the brake pedal. Taking the car back to dealer tomorrow to see what is going on. Only learned of stop light switch recall by web search.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Nov 152012

The engine is faulty if they demand that only oem oil filters can be used otherwise engine will break and warranty will not cover it. My story: My 2007 Kia Rondo: So my check engine light goes on the other day. I take it my Kia dealer and they say it's code 90011 - camshaft positioning sensor error. They tell me that there is a "Kia bulletin" out about non-oem oil filters causing this error and that I should only be using oem filters. So, they change my oil and put on the new oem filter. They then tell me that should fix the problem, but if light comes back on to bring it back in. I left excited the light was off, and then I am not kidding - 1.3 miles later on the freeway home, all hell breaks loose in my engine! it threw a rod and oil spewed out everywhere. So, towed it back. They tell me how sorry they are. I tell them I still have 5K miles left in warranty. They tell me I need to show proof of all oil changes and bring them the receipts. I can only track down 9 oil changes for the last 5 years. I methodically changed the oil every 4K miles, many of them I did myself. Did I think to save the walmart receipts for oil and filters? noper. Long story short, they denied my claim for the following reasons: 1. there is a "Kia bulletin" that came out recently that says I should have only been using oem Kia filters and I did not. 2. I could not produce enough receipts to prove that between self oil changes and otherwise were done every 3K miles. Even if I did get the receipts, they don't sell Kia oem filters at walmart or autozone, big O, etc. So I am left with $7K still owing on a car that needs a $5200 engine. God bless South Korea! P.S.S. when the dealer first change my oil, they said the oil was really quite clean and could tell I take care of the engine!!

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Aug 122012

Driving on the highway was about to exit off when my Kia Rondo stopped out of nowhere. The engine just went then I looked back to see if the was any oil that came out and there was oil spilled on the exit ramp.

- Mount Vernon , NY, USA