2.6

2008 Kia Rondo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Rondo:

2008 Kia Rondo Owner Comments

Jun 112016

Rondo

Did oil change regularly, it has 905908 miles, while driving oil light came pulled over, look and no oil stop, stopped at a gas station and bought oil, added oil to car, then making noise to it to dealer and needs a new engine, took car home, on way oil light came on again look and no oil, doesn't leak and no oil burn out, but mo oil again. Added oil junking car.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Jan 032015

Rondo

During an inspection of the undercarriage on my Kia, an auto mechanic informed me that my oil pan had rusted through and engine oil was seeping through the metal. The cost of parts and labor for a replacement is approximately $250. The service manager of the auto repair garage stated that in his experience this was not an uncommon problem with some Kia and Hyundai models. In my opinion, this is a major manufacturing defect. That is, the metal used to manufacture a critical part on the engine (mine is 2.4 liter/4 cylinder) is defective either in composition or gauge. I've owned vehicles for over 40 years and, prior to this, I've never heard of an oil pan rusting through. As background, I purchased this vehicle new. I'm retired and I do not drive regularly (no commute). Although I live in Maine where road salt is used liberally on roads, I have avoided driving in winter storms whenever possible.

- Yarmouth, ME, USA

Jan 182013

Rondo 4-cyl

The check engine light comes on and the engine timing/ computer being impacted instance happen June 19, 2013 car failed NJ inspection cost to repair $782.85.

- Union, NJ, USA

Jan 272014

Rondo 4-cyl

Check engine light comes on associated with cvvt assemble/timing and the computer in the engine.

- Union, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Rondo 6-cyl

2008 Kia Rondo. Consumer writes in regards to gasket/ oil pan problems. The consumer stated during a routine oil change, he was informed there was a small leak in the oil pan gasket and it would be corrected during the next service, since the oil had already been changed. During the service, it was determined that the oil pan was porous and because the consumer was not the original owner, it would not be corrected and it was no longer covered under warranty.

- Bangor, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Rondo 6-cyl

I was at a red light and the car was started, the vehicle began to jerk violently with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. I did mention this issue when I had the next oil change and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure to my knowledge. No offer or any assistance was referred by the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the mileage at the time was about 70,000. This incident has occurred several times, but I am more concerned about the sputtering noise and a hesitation while starting vehicle after refueling. This could also put you in danger of being struck from oncoming traffic. These occurrences are worse, when the air conditioning is on. These occurrences of revving idle speed, unexpectedly, may occur only once in two months or they may occur two or three times in one week.

- Baltimore, MD, USA