2006 Kia Sedona electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Sedona:

2006 Kia Sedona Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 152015

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. Immediately after the contact exited the vehicle, the doors and the steering wheel locked automatically and the alarm system sounded without warning. Whenever the contact drove over 55 mph, the steering locked. Each time the failure occurred, the vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, turned off, and then restarted. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer did not test drive the vehicle to see if the failure could be duplicated. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that they had never heard of such a failure. The failure was not remedied. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V389000 (latches/locks/linkages). The failure mileage was 125,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Jul 172016

Sedona

The van is running perfectly and you make a stop somewhere and it will not start for hours. Once it does start it runs perfectly again. This has happened numerous times where my kids and I are stranded. We have to remove a fuse or the wire to the battery in order to get it going again. It has to do with the theft alarm and there are numerous other complaints about this on the internet. The battery is fine, the lights and doors still work it just doesn't start.

- Clintonville, WI, USA

Jun 062015

Sedona

The ESC and the ABS light came on and know the break lights don't work and it keeps blowing my head lights the air bag is on and they stay on. This happens when you put it in gear and they stay on the whole time the auto is on. At frist it did every once in a while but know it stays on and my brake lights doesn't work.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

May 052016

Sedona

This complaint is regarding a single-owner 2006 Kia Sedona. Since 2006 I have had numerous electrical related problems. Over half the buttons and knobs on the stock cd player/radio have not worked for approximately eight years. I am having to replace headlight and turn signal bulbs every few months. The airbag indicator light is illuminated and will not shut off. I have not been involved in any accidents (yet) and would expect my airbags to deploy if and when necessary. My understanding is that the airbags will not function if the indicator light is illuminated. This is a major safety concern, as this is a family vehicle and I have three small children, and I take frequent road trips due to my job. As far as I know, there are no recalls associated with the airbag or electrical/lighting system for this vehicle. Based on my research of complaints associated with this vehicle year, make, and model, recalls should be issued so affected owners may have these problems corrected at no charge and to prevent injury and or death.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 042016

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that the air bag light remained illuminated and the horn stopped working. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Mar 012012

Sedona

Shortly after warranty expired (early 2012), the air bag light went on our Kia Sedona. I took the van to our local Kia dealer to check and they told me that it was the weight classification seat sensor assembly (part 88610 - $1399.75 at that time) that had to be replaced. After labor cost and taxes it would be $2022!! Kia was having some recalls around that time, but none to address this issue. The main reason we bought this van for our family was because of high safety ratings involving all the airbags. Now we are driving without airbags and praying for extra angels around the van when we have to go on the highway. We would like to take long road trips, but that seems too dangerous without airbags. Please investigate and you will find out it is a common issue with this make and model. Kia needs to step it up and fix this issue; lives are at stake. Thank you!

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Dec 282015

Sedona

Front chassis need to be replaced and I change 2 alternator and baterry less dam a year is not safe casue the vehicle shuts down and the pedal brake geta hard to stop the van and the airbag light keep on all the time

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 112015

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 292015

Sedona

My key is stuck in the ignition and I cannot remove the key. The car will start and is drivable, but when I stop the car and put in park then turn off, I cannot remove the key. I have to leave the key in the ignition.

- Laurelton, NY, USA

Jun 102009

Sedona

Intermittent failure to start. Due to an electrical problem in the fuse box (I personally talked to Kia who read the service bulletin to me) the anti-theft system locks down the car rendering it inoperable. The internet is loaded with this same complaint even to the point of offering a solution to jump across the anti-theft system to eliminate this problem. In talking to Kia, they acknowledged the problem but said that unless there was a government recall they would do nothing for it. It bothers me that they won't accept responsibility for their defect. It bothers me more that my wife could be stranded somewhere because her car wouldn't start. Do I have any other recourse since it is now out of warranty and Kia would not even look at it unless I could replicate the problem which was impossible since it is intermittent....updated 09/21/15

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 282015

Sedona

Wont start off ignition switch dealer dont know what it may be and my ESC light come and goes and car dont wont to accelrate

- Maryville, TN, USA

Dec 042012

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that a chime sounded indicating that a door was ajar, although all doors were secured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Dec 032007

Sedona 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight regularly (every 2 to 3 months) burns out; have changed the headlight several times per year since 2007. Also the turn signals work intermittently, where one or the other goes out; changed these several times per year as well.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Dec 292014

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the rear passenger side sliding door opened without warning. The contact also stated that the sliding door was only able to operate manually and failed to operate with the key fob. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000. The VIN was not available.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 012014

Sedona 6-cyl

The air bag light came on at around 80K miles and has stayed on. I have checked the connections beneath the driver and passenger seats; all appear firmly seated. It should also be noted that I had recently replaced the battery before the light came on, a common precursor to this problem if the online forums are any indication. At any rate, this appears to be far too common (and expensive!) an issue among Kia owners, to say nothing of its incredible significance as a safety hazard. Kia should issue a recall and fix this manufacturer's defect promptly.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Aug 062014

Sedona 6-cyl

Drove the vehicle into my carport and turned the ignition off and tried to remove the key. The key is stuck and unable to turn it into lock position. The key stays in the acc position and will not go into the lock position. The vehicle starts alright just unable to remove the key.

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Jan 012014

Sedona

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Sedona. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start and was towed to the dealer. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Wendell, NC, USA

Feb 202014

Sedona 6-cyl

Having an issue with repeat problems with left front turn signal. Bulb has been replaced 3 times (twice in the last 2 months. Dealer replaced bulb, left turn signal functioned for 3 weeks. Then, the front lamp does not function. Took van to Goodyear store - their tech replaced the bulb (again) and said he had seen many similar problems with L front indicators on Kia and Hyundai entourage. Tech said the socket is bad, and to contact Kia. Kia said to make an appointment at a dealer for a diagnosis. Really"?"

- Newnan, GA, USA

Jan 022014

Sedona 6-cyl

After parking vehicle, went to exit and could not remove ignition key. Key turned off vehicle but would only go as far accs, which means while motor was not running, power was still on. Made sure dash indicator was in park, yet could not remove key. Spoke to a locksmith and added lube to around ignition key without any results. Left inside semi-heated garage overnight in case of frozen components without results. While dash indicator seemed to show proper gear selections, while in park, key could not removed, steering wheel would not lock, and vehicle could be moved forward and backward by manual pushing, in the meantime it was using up the battery. Kia dealership determined "shifter assembly failure", and after $600+ and 6 days for the special ordered part, vehicle was returned, but the failed part was returned to the supplier for a core charge. So if vehicle was parked in a parking lot and ignition key cannot be removed the car could be stolen, if parked on an incline car could roll away because it's truly not in park, and or your battery is dead. There was prior warning of any failure and owned since new.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Aug 102012

Sedona 6-cyl

We bought this Kia Sedona from a dealer and from the time we bought it always had some starting problem. So when we took to the dealer they said it is the battery and replaced the battery and again the same problem and then they said to replace the battery connecting parts as they are not connecting right. Then had some fuse problems and had to replace some fuse and the ac was down replaced the ac. Again battery problem and not starting. The dealer said to replace a new battery and we said it is a new one, but told to put a Kia battery and replaced it, after few days again car slow downed the speed while driving and stopped middle of the road. Had to tow to the dealer. They said it is the starter motor and replaced it. After a year, same problem - car was not starting and then finally they said it is the fuse box and had to replace the whole fuse box as it was not working right. I have two children and this is not safe to drive if it slows downs or stop while driving. I would appreciate if someone can check into it and as there will be more people like me having this problem. We have a Mazda but we have spend way more money and our time on this Kia as it brake downs a lot.

- Rocklin, CA, USA