Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Kia Sedona received a poor rollover rating from the IIHS.

2012 Kia Sedona engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Sedona:

2012 Kia Sedona Owner Comments

Aug 222016

Upon service station oil change engine warning codes P0024, P0014 showed immediatley next morning. Wix filter, mgd mgl 10082, bought by my mechanic from oriellys auto parts had no resemblance to original filter even though advertized as oem replacement. This had perforated metal shell and solid rubber top and bottom when Kia version is fan folded paper all over it damaged engine vvti, cam exhaust manifold warning since this is a oil timed engine. I did not drive it until fixed, oil switch, and pressure sending unit. 100% percent of oil had been forced out top of engine and pooled in the V6. Several technical sites say these filters design have failed including redesign. Now oriellys and Wix are dragging thier feet imn fixing this and reimbursing me for exspense. Not even thier product. I was driving vehicle less than 20 miles

- Racine, WI, USA

Aug 182016

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Sedona. While the vehicle was parked, engine oil leaked underneath the front end of the vehicle and the engine oil warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil pressure switch and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 022016

The contact owns a 2012 Kia Sedona. When the key was inserted into the ignition and turned to start, the vehicle failed to respond without warning. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on multiple occasions, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 272016

My vehicle has approximately 68K miles on it, and began leaking oil within the past month (and displaying the low pressure error light). The leaks themselves varied between small drips to significant amounts left in parking lots. It got to the point where I was unable to even run the heater for extended periods of time due to the fumes entering the cabin from the burning oil. With 3 kids until 12yrs, it was very unsafe. Upon bringing it in for service, I was advised that not only the oil pan gasket needed to be replaced, but the rear main seal as well. This is alarming since the rear main typically does not need to be addressed until the vehicle is over/near 100K miles. Thankfully, my warranty is covering the repairs, as this could have cost me over $1K to replace (due to the transmission needing to be removed to get to the seal).

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

May 012015

The timing chain tensioners bleed down pressure after the vehicle has set for a few hours causing chain slap at start up which over time will damage internal engine components up to and including timing issues that could cause engine failure. While there is a tsb from Kia on this known issue Kia claims it is normal to hear the chain slap against the engine walls until the tensioners build pressure over several seconds.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Sedona 6-cyl

While turning onto another street the van stalled. I put on my flashers and stopped, put the van in park and started it again. It started right up and the check engine light was on. It didn't have any power when I hit the gas, so I turned it off and started it again and it ran normal, except for the check engine light being on. On the way home it almost stalled again. This happened on a Saturday. We called the dealer right away and they said to bring it in on Monday. A week or so before the van did this I noticed the RPM's going up an down when I would be at a stop just idling. The dealer checked the codes for the throttle body and found an update so they reprogrammed it according to their paperwork. On Friday I was driving down the street going about 25 mph and when I got to the traffic light I lost power. I thought it had stalled again, but it didn't. when I pressed the gas it did not accelerate, and would not go over 10 mph. I got it off the street and shut it off and then restarted it. It would not respond when I stepped on the gas. I turned it off again and let it sit for a couple minutes and then when I re-started it, it responded when I accelerated. Once again the check engine light was on. I immediately contacted the dealer and drove it right to them. According to their paperwork they checked and found an internal fault with the throttle body actuator. They replaced the throttle body assembly and kept it a few days to see if it would lose power again. According to them it did not and I picked it up. This is the first day I have had it back and so far it has run fine. I am driving children around in this van all the time and now I need to be concerned that it is going to stall or go into "limp mode" as the dealer called it when I pull out onto the busy roads where I live. I hope they fixed it.

- Warminster, PA, USA