2003 Kia Sorento fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Kia Sorento:

2003 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 242012

Sorento 6-cyl

I had owned the vehicle for a year when all of a sudden one day I was filling up with gas, had pumped less than a gallon when all of a sudden, the gas came shooting back out of the tank all over me, the car, the ground, everywhere. I tried more gas as I was almost on empty, & it happened over & over. Finally, I had to pull the nozzle most of the way out of the tank, & pump as slowly as possible. I learned that if I listened carefully, I could hear the gas approaching the top of the neck & if I was quick enough, could keep the "blow back" down to a trickle & only have it on the vehicle & the ground & not on me. My son refuses to drive it if it needs to be gassed up. It makes me very nervous to pump gas like this. What if there is a random spark? I noticed in 2005 (long before I purchased) there was some sort of fuel system, gasoline:delivery:hoses, lines/piping, and fittings recall from www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/Kia/Sorento/recalls/ does that recall cover this issue? I read a lot of complaints from many people having this very same issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 012012

Sorento 6-cyl

Each time we go to put fuel into the gas tank it flies back out. Sometimes as much as a foot or more out of the gas tank opening. This has gone on for more than a few months now. I understand that this has been an ongoing problems with Kia Sorentos around this year model with around the same amount of miles as ours.

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

Jul 122011

Sorento

My first Kia was sportage 2000 with 165000 miles when I sold that vehicle, I have no complaints this was my reason to buy Kia again, I buy a Sorento 2003 no complaints only the 2 recalls from Kia is the only thing I have in this vehicle. But since the last year after 75000 miles I have this real problem for me with the gas spills, my situation today is not the same like its was five years ago....and spend above $500 fixing this problem who attribute at failure of design from Kia motors is beyond my budget. I have not idea how to fix this from Kia who I make them solely responsible of this defect. Somebody can tell me how I have to proceed to make accountable Kia in this matter??

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Sep 032012

Sorento 6-cyl

When I try to fill gasoline in my car, the pump will click off after filling about 1/2 gallon and will then spray gasoline back at me for the first 3-4 times it clicks off. I noticed a recall was done on this model for the fuel tank evaporator filter which is the issue. I had the recall performed but still have the issue.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jul 172012

Sorento 6-cyl

Fuel spewed back when filling at station.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jan 182012

Sorento

I was filling my gas tank up, and after about 2 gallons it spit back out at me going everywhere. I have taken it to many mechanics and they say they cannot find the problem, so basically I have had to continue dealing with this issue for 7 months or so. I have grown tired of it and decided to search the internet and found that many other people have been dealing with this issue also. I find that the gas spilling out everywhere is a safety hazard in many ways, but no one can seem to help me out. What should I do?

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 152012

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. While driving approximately 75 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate independently. The contact stopped the vehicle and replaced the fuel injector fluid but the failure continued intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics. The mechanic advised that the fuel injectors needed cleaning. After the fuel injectors were cleaned, the failure continued. The vehicle was previously included and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V353000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:hoses, lines/piping, and fittings). After the recall repair, the contact experienced a fuel spill when refueling the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired the approximate failure mileage was 33,387.

- Miami Gardens , FL, USA