2003 Kia Sorento fuel system NHTSA complaints: Fuel System, Gasoline

NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems

3.4

2003 Kia Sorento fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Kia Sorento:

2003 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Mar 172009

Sorento

Purchased vehicle used in November 2008 - Kia Sorento 2003. I noticed a gasoline smell shortly after the purchase, but didn't think it was from my vehicle. Last week noticed a damp spot under my car, checked it, found gasoline leaking from my tank. Took the car in to the dealership for service. They found a crack along a seam in the gas tank and replaced it.

- Hellertown, PA, USA

Jun 102008

Sorento 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. While placing fuel into the vehicle, the fuel spewed back out from the gas pump. The contact stated that it would take ten minutes to place $20 worth of gas into the vehicle. He had to place small quantities of fuel into the vehicle at a time to prevent it from spewing back out. An independent mechanic replaced the fuel tank pressure relief valve at the cost of $191; however, the failure persists. The manufacturer was unable to provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 82,000 and current mileage was 85,000. Updated 10/16/08 updated 10/20/08.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 052005

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

Consumer stated there was a gas leak in vehicle. She first noticed gas coming out of the vehicle on July 5, 2005. She took the vehicle to the dealership and it was fixed, but they did not tell her why it was leaking. Dealership stated it was their fault, and it was the third one in the shop to fix. She has been smelling gas for a couple of days.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Feb 202003

Sorento 6-cyl

I purchased a 2003 Kia Sorento in Feb 2003, vehicle spins over for quite sometime and then slowly finally turns over, I have taken it into the dealer 2 times now and they have said it was the fuel relay switch and vehicle still has the problem so I am taking it into the dealer for the 3rd time and they swear it is a fuel problem so we'll see if it's going to get fixed.

- Gainesville, FL, USA