2.6

hardy worth mentioning

2003 Kia Sorento fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Kia Sorento:

2003 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 172012

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact moved the vehicle off the roadway and the engine rpms increased as the vehicle began to perform normally. The contact also stated that once the fuel tank was below 3/4 full, the engine would lose power and began to idle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was inspected but was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue but provided no assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 202012

Sorento

When pumping as into the tank, gas shoots out of the tank like opening a soda after shaking it up. Fuel projection is very forceful. No matter if I trickle gas in. I have been rejected from gas stations because truck spits out so much gas & I was told my vehicle is a fire hazard. Kia performed two recalls SC092 & SC073. The problem still persists. Kia customer care nor the mechanics at bay Kia in Norfolk, va have been very unhelpful and instead of investigating the problem, say that it is user error!

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Mar 232012

Sorento

When putting gas in the tank, the gas blew back out with a force like shaking a soda can and opening it. Today was the 3rd and worst time. It started about 2 weeks ago with the fuel just spilling out, but tonight it blew back out at me with such a force as to spray gas all over the front of me up to my neck. My shirt was soaked, the gas was all over my pants and shoes. By the time I was able to drive home and shower, burns from the gas on my skin started appearing on my chest.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 282011

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento ex. The contact stated that while refueling, the injector would leak fuel at any time. The manufacturer was not contacted. The dealer was contacted, but denied any assistance with repairs to the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 109,333 and the current mileage was 109,433.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Aug 062011

Sorento 6-cyl

Without notice this vehicle stopped accepting fuel properly. When you attempt to refuel, gasoline doesn't leak out, it sprays as if under pressure. My wife, daughter and I have each been sprayed on different occasions. Even filling very slowly causes fuel to spray from vehicle. I would be glad to video it as it occurs. It occurs every time and creates a very serious fire hazard for my family as well as other customers at the filling station. I recently had an ase certified technician evaluate the vehicle and no problem was found. This was going to be my daughters first car but I don't feel its safe for her and wouldn't want to trade it to someone and endanger them.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Jul 152011

Sorento 6-cyl

Was driving approx 60 miles per hour and fuel pressure dropped; engine shut off. Was able to restart and drive but for only a few miles at the time. This happened over course of couple of days. Had fuel pumped replaced. After fuel pump was replaced I had problems fueling vehicle. Gas would bubble up and spray out of gas tank. Had to pump slowly. Gas would get all over me, vehicle and ground. Returned vehicle back to repair shop six times over the course of six weeks; had other part replaced. Vehicle still losing fuel pressure, shutting off and not able to pump gas without it spurting out of tank. Vehicle parked as I feel it is not safe to drive for me or daughter. Out of 600 dollars and not vehicle to drive. Something from manufacturer should be done. This is a dangerous situation. I am afraid of vehicle starting a fire with me in it.

- Swainsboro, GA, USA

May 172011

Sorento 6-cyl

Whenever I attempt to put gas in my truck, the gas always comes back out. I tried to have it fixed but no one ever heard of a gas tank doing this unless it's full all ready which I know. I mean the gas would just flow out really bad. Some gas stations won't even allow me to use their station in fear of a fire.

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Sep 162011

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the smell of fuel was emitted inside and outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where they confirmed a fuel leak from the fueltank. The manufacturer was contacted, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 102,500 and the current mileage was 102,700.

- Barlett, IL, USA

Jun 302011

Sorento 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel began to spill out from the fuel filler neck. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was refueled. The fuel light also began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the fuel cap was replaced; yet, the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer where the fuel light was reset; however, the repair did not correct the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000. Updated 08/11/11 updated 08/12/11

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 012010

Sorento 6-cyl

Approximately 6 months ago, I noticed that I cannot fill up my fuel tank in my 2003 Kia Sorento without the fuel backing up and kicking back out the tank. I have to fill the tank very slowly and it takes a long time. It just started to occur one day and happens every time I refill.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 012009

Sorento 6-cyl

I have a 2003 Kia Sorento, bought in January,2003. During the summer of 2009 I found everytime I filled the gas tank, fuel would "blow-back" at first I could sometime remove the nozzle and re-start the fill and it would stop. I also I had to deliver the gas very slowly. Since last year I find I can never fill without "blow-back" and it seems I must listen for the rush of fuel to spit back. I usually find I am covered with fuel and the paint on the rear panel is beginning to show damage from the fuel. I have not been to the dealer as just as this problem began, the Kia dealer in daytona beach closed.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Nov 032010

Sorento

I have a 2003 Kia Sorento and about 3 months ago when I went to put gas in my car the gas was spewing out on my car, the ground, and on me. And it happens every time I put gas in it now. I have to pump very slowly so it don't shoot out at me. But that takes twenty min to pump half a tank of gas. The Kia dealership says their not sure what's wrong but will cost around $600-%$800 to fix it.

- Jonesboro, LA, USA

Jun 042010

Sorento

Since the fuel pump of my Kia Sorento 2003 was changed on June 2010, every time I filled up the tank with gas, it comes back, vomiting all the gas at that moment. I have to slowly fill it up and takes me about 20 minutes to fill up the tank. None of the mechanics consulted can find a solution.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sorento

When fueling the vehicle fuel has been spraying back out of the fuel filler neck if the fuel is pumped at a normal rate. This has occurred since well before the 1st incident date. The only way to keep the fuel from spraying out is to pump the fuel very slowly and stop. Fuel would spray all over me, my wife and the vehicle. While traveling on the interstate and the fuel gauge registers 3/4 full and when the vehicle is going uphill the vehicle RPM's will drop, the throttle becomes unresponsive and the vehicle losses speed. The vehicle will recover after reaching level ground. The vehicle was taken to Kia and no problems were found. Again while traveling for the holidays on 11/24/10 and 11/28/10 this incident occurred again when the fuel gauge registered 3/4 full and in heavy traffic on I-65 almost causing vehicles to run over me due to my speed dropping abruptly. I reached the nearest fuel station and filled the tank up. This does not happen when the vehicle is above 3/4 full. This does not happen while driving around town. The problem with fueling the vehicle is all the time.

Jan 052010

Sorento

I bought a 2003 Kia Sorento about 6 years ago and I've had a lot of problems. The worst and most recent problem is the gas spews out of the tank every time I try to fill it. It runs down the side of the car and on my wheel. Sometimes it gets on me. This has been going on for several months now. If you pump very slow and stop every.80 cents it lessens the amount of times it spews out, but this is so very timely. The gas gauge periodically goes out. The horn has never worked. The power steering periodically goes out. When using cruise control it will periodically go off on it's own. The paint looks horrible and has peeled off on the side mirrors. The leather seats have not held up well. The dome light will not work when you open the door, but if you press the dome light button it will come on. Periodically the dash lights have flickered and I'm wondering if they are about to go out. I've already had to replace the ac compressor and the drive shaft, both of which have really set me back financially. I really want to get the gas tank issue fixed as it is the worst issue at hand and I fear it could be dangerous.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Oct 152010

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the fuel tank was dispensing the gasoline back out towards her as she added gasoline. When the contact entered the vehicle the fuel gauge reads full when it was not completely full. The dealer was contacted and informed her that there were no recalls in reference to the fuel system. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,500.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

May 012009

Sorento

I have a 2003 Kia Sorento and last year it started to spray gas out at me everytime I went to fill it up. I took it in to have it checked and they couldn't find anything. My Kia is still doing this and I am getting tired of getting sprayed with gas everytime I try to put gas in the thing. It needs fixed and Kia should be held responsible for this. This is a hazard and somebody will eventually get hurt. Please help me with this situation.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jun 032010

Sorento

The contact owns a 2003 Kia Sorento. The contact stated when attempting to fill the fuel tank, there was a restriction that only allowed the fuel to enter the filler neck slowly. The fuel would also come back out (fuel expulsion). The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired at the time of the complaint. The contact had not spoken with the manufacturer at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 70,000. The failure mileage was approximately 69,000.

- Miami, FL, USA