1.6

hardy worth mentioning

2004 Kia Sorento drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Kia Sorento:

2004 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Aug 092013

Sorento

We purchased our sorrento used (approx 65K miles)about 3 years ago. Since then, we've had to replace the gas tank ($1500) among other things. This year has been absurd: Had to replace the radiator, water pump, computer system (2 months, $4700), brakes ($750) and 2 batteries. 2-3 months ago, we noticed a clunking/chunking sound that grew steadily worse. It sounded as if the 4WD was engaging and disengaging every 3 seconds and felt very unsafe at high speeds. I took it to Kia of cobb county and was just given a quote Friday for a new transfer case, drive shaft, "rear end chunk" (all the service rep could tell me) and 4 new tires. Quote for this work ($9767). The transfer case alone was around $5700. This vehicle now has 112K miles and is less than 10 years old. The blue book value is (was) around $5-6000 and we're told it'll take $10,000 to fix it? I called Kia's corporate office to ask if this was to be expected at Kia. I was told that our vehicle was not under warranty. I said, " I'm just asking if there's anyone at Kia headquarters who believes in their product and wants to protect the Kia name and you just keep apologizing." The rep responded, "I'm sorry, sir." We've found multiple complaints online from Kia owners reporting similar issues (chunking, transfer case, etc). When does this become.a recall issue" a safety issue"

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 162012

Sorento 6-cyl

Entering I-35 North from access road in san antonio Texas. Time 08:15am (rush hour) loud bang from rear of vehicle speed immediately dropped to 20mph, initially thought I had blown a tire. Pulled off access road to side street. Was having trouble stopping vehicle no brake pressure foot went all the way to floorboard. Checked rear tires, no visible damage to either tire (tires were new)when vehicle was purchased. Again attempted to drive vehicle, rear tires were having trouble rotating? later discovered wheel bearings had failed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 042013

Sorento 6-cyl

While driving all warning lights came on and all belts broke steering wouldn't work.

- Connersville, IN, USA

Jan 012010

Sorento 6-cyl

I had the vehicle in the dealership just below 100,000 miles. They didn't bother to tell me the transmission control module was messed up and needed replaced. This seems to be an issue with several people. And then to find out this is a dealer only part and over 900.00! I think this was poor customer service and they should've known something was wrong. The gear shift wasn't sitting in drive and not shifting correctly. I doubt I'd ever buy another Kia because their service sucks! they don't value their customers and that really makes me uneasy.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Dec 312012

Sorento

While driving on the highway at 65 mph the crankshaft bolt broke, the timing belt and drive belt came loose.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Jun 302008

Sorento

We have had 4 instances with the same issue in the fixing the pulley crank shaft. June 30, 08, (recall) October 6, 09, Aug 10, 10 and once again Sept 18,12. This is the same issue that causes you to loose steering while driving with apparently no warning. I find this extremely troubling as we have a new driver learning with this car. We are lucky to report that there have been no accidents or deaths but I think it is a very dangerous situation that will soon happen. The dealer wagner Kia of shrewsbury, MA feels that it is not an issue and is just from wear and tear. 4 times for the same problem? obviously Kia has not fixed the problem correctly. It angers me that Kia is not taking this seriously. We drive our children as well as other children in this car and could of had serious to fatal injuries. From this bolt shearing off it has also caused other major damage to the car that we have already had fixed.

- Upton, MA, USA

Aug 112010

Sorento 6-cyl

Two brackets (one left, one right) that hold the rear upper control arms to the rear axle housing have completely snapped off. This leaves a very dangerous condition which will cause the rear axle of the car to rotate and fall out of the car. If this happens at speed, serious injury and/or death is likely. There are many many posts about this same problem online and Kia refuses to address the problem stating that it's not a flaw or defect. It is if it happens to almost every vehicle of this year and model. Kia does not offer a replacement bracket that can be welded on and they suggest that the entire rear axle housing assembly is replaced at a cost of several thousand dollars per vehicle. Kia motors refuses to acknowledge the problem or assist affected customers in resolving it.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Jul 022012

Sorento 6-cyl

Corrosion of rear differential, both left and right arm completely broke off axle assy, unsafe to drive. Repair shop I've used for the last 4 years gave estimate of $1,300 with possible additional cost of up to $500. They suggested I call Kia regarding my 10 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. Called Kia corporate headquarters for 10 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. Was told I needed to tow it from my repair shop to the nearest Kia dealer which was 48 miles away. Service manager after looking at defect told me warranty denied would cost $2,700 (approximate) and could count on an additional $500 to $1,000 when taken apart. Placed another call to Kia Corp. Headquarters for warranty and was told there is no defect. Damage as a result of salt out of their control, and the service manager had the final say.

- Glen Spey, NY, USA

Mar 102012

Sorento 6-cyl

Summary: Update to below problem I bought my Sorento in 2004, new. I replaced the coolant reservoir at 61000 miles due to overheating, replaced the low beam headlight bulbs on 4 occasions, tail lights on 2 occasions. My vehicle, 5 speed manual transmission, started to have a roaring noise approx. 6 months ago and the U-joints were replaced. It still roars. It quit running on 2-16-12 while I was driving, but restarted. It finally quit again and would not restart on 2-17-12. Check engine light indicate a fuel pressure sensor problem, but mechanic says this should not cause the problem I presently have. It has been in the shop since 2-18-12. The mechanic said it started for him. I insisted he let it run for a while and see what happens. Sure enough, it quit. Kia mechanic told me it may be a crank or cam sensor issue. Other problems--front dome light off and on at will, rear one works, clock on and off at will, vehicle hums loudly when driving for a while. It has been a reliable vehicle for the most part, but when there is an issue, it is hard to detect. Above work was completed at a cost of 1126,00. But now crankshaft bolt broke while driving costing damage to engine heads. Vehicle went back into shop and is still waiting repairs. Kia owes it customers better service and must pay repair cost and take responsibility for the faulty crankshaft bolts they provide to the mechanics.

- Fort Walton Bch, FL, USA

Feb 162012

Sorento 6-cyl

I bought my sarento in 2004, new. I replaced the coolant reservor at 61000 miles due to overheating, replaced the low beam headlight bulbs on 4 ocasions, tail lights on 2 ocasions. My vehicle, 5 speed manual transmission, started to have a roaring noise approx. 6 months ago and the U-joints were replaced. It still roars. It quit running on 2-16-12 while I was driving, but restarted. It finally quit again and would not restart on 2-17-12. Check engine light indicate a fuel pressure sensor problem, but mechanic says this should not cause the problem I presently have. It has been in the shop since 2-18-12. The mechanic said it started for him. I insisted he let it run for a while and see what happens. Sure enough, it quit. Kia mechanic told me it may be a crank or cam sensor issue. Other problems--front dome light off and on at will, rear one works, clock on and off at will, vehicle hums loudly when driving for a while. It has been a reliable vehicle for the most part, but when there is an issue, it is hard to detect.

- Fort Walton Beach , FL, USA

Nov 282011

Sorento

Vehicle is only 7 years old. Metal bracket welded to the rear axle that holds the upper control arms has completely failed! the normal torque from the rear axle has broken both brackets holding the upper control arm to the cars frame. All that is holding the rear axle in place is the lower control arms and the sway bars. There are no weep holes to allow water to drain out of the bracket weldment, causing water to fill the cup-like condition created. This condition has (an will) cause premature failure of all Kia Sorento rear axle/upper control arm connections. While driving the rear axle could become detached from the vehicle due to excessive stress placed on the remaining parts. A typical traffic maneuver could cause a catastrophic failure, and render the vehicle uncontrolable, with the likelyness of massive pain, injury and death as a result!!! this is an extremely dangerous condition!!! these cars need to be recalled now before someone is killed!!! ps if you see a Kia Sorento on the freeway...stay away from it for your own safety!

- New Middletown, OH, USA

Jul 062008

Sorento

My sister purchased this vehicle new and has had nothing but problems with it and problems with dealership/Kia honoring their 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. She purchased this vehicle believing she would be driving a quality vehicle (advertising 10 year/100,000 mile warranty she assumed it must be of high quality because who would offer that kind of warranty if it was junk....wrong!) she has had nothing but stress, financial expense, lost work time, and a battle of her life trying to seek consumer justice...dealership, Kia motors, lemon law requires a part to fail four times, attorney generals office, conciliation court, writing to ruukivina, oberstar, and most recently amy klobuchar...all failed. No one has said that they will investigate Kia and protect the consumers from this fraudulent automobile manufacturer. Why? the problems she has had with her vehicle consist of rust on the tailgate and rear doors just a few months after purchasing, all kinds of electrical problems from headlights and tail lights burning out numerous times, the digital dash for radio and heater going black, the heater not work, a relay switch for fan failed, foam between windshield and frame coming out tapping on the window, a problem with the coolant reservoir, the rear driveshaft failed, the transmission had to be replaced and most recently the transfer case. Safety issues and concerns would be with tail lights and headlights burning out prematurely and frequently and the crankshaft bolt broke causing to loose all ability to steer the vehicle. There are probably other problems she has had with the vehicle but I do not recall at this time.

- Eveleth, MN, USA