2007 Kia Sorento brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sorento:

2007 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Aug 042014

Sorento

ESC and check engine light illuminated. Took vehicle to dealer for repairs. Dealer service dept stated that brake light switch was at fault, but that it had been previously replaced in Mar 2010 under a recall campaign. After replacing switch this time, dealer service adviser stated that switch appeared to be original, but that I would still have to pay for parts and labor ($129.86). I paid but protested. I have serious doubts that brake light switch was replaced in Mar 2010 as dealer stated, since the recently replaced switch appeared to be original equipment. Subsequently, I feel as though I should not have to pay for the most recent (Aug 2014) repair, especially if switch had not been replaced under recall campaign previously. I suspect that dealer either falsified the Mar 2010 repair, and/or replaced recalled switch with identical replacement (which is prone to failure). What good is a recall if original defect was simply reinstalled? I do have possession of defective switch replaced in Aug 2014. Not only do I want my money returned to me, but I would like some assurance that the problem is now remedied with a reliable switch. Please respond.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 072014

Sorento

My dauther was on her way to work, she was coming to a stop at the end of the road and had no breaks and she contued on across the road whent up the bank across the road and when she reached the top it began sliding down and ended up laying on the passenger side.tkankfully she was not hurt to bad. I have had the car check out, replaced the wendshield and passenger door window and mirror. The mechanic replaced the master cylinder, and still had no breaks, come to find out after calling Kia they said it was the (hecu) unit.they are saying it will cost around $1500 to replace this.I have never heard of nothing more rediclus.the car is still driveable.the passenger side doors are bent-up some, but they open and close just fine don't look good but its still driveable.I think Kia should replace this (hecu) because its a factory defect.

- Boonville, NC, USA

May 272014

Sorento

Part was already replaced on a mandatory recall. Now the replacements for the recall are failing. Kia will not stand behind the repair costs, this means many people will be driving with out brake lights. I am on my third switch- the part should easily out live the car! I am sure they replaced it with the same exact part thinking most people would be out of the vehicle by the time it failed again. I am sure this is not what you had in mind when you issued the other recalls on this part.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 052014

Sorento 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated while she driving 45 mph the brake system locked failed to engage without warning and caused the gear shift to fail. The contact was unable to shift gears. The contact was able to coast the vehicle onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was towed to the contacts home. The failure and current mileage was 71,885. Updated 6/10/14 according to the invoice the brake fluid was contaminated and the master cylinder was not holding pressure. Updated 07/24/24

- Remsenburg , NY, USA

Aug 012013

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brakes were depressed. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle due to not knowing that the contact was applying the brakes. The contact sustained injuries to the back and a police report was not filed. After the crash, the contact received notification that the vehicle was included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign number: 13V114000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 170,000.

- Benton , KS, USA

Aug 012012

Sorento

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. While driving approximately 75 mph, the contact was unable to set the cruise control and unable to activate the stability control. The rear brake lights also would not illuminate. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the brake switch would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Benton , KS, USA