2007 Kia Sorento engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sorento:

2007 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Mar 012014

Sorento 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Kia Sorento LX with 47,760 miles on it currently (today's date 09/10/2014). The first symptoms happened a few months ago where my car would hesitate upon acceleration and/or I would be traveling between 30-45 mph and the car would begin bucking/jerking for a few seconds. This was very intermittent and random. If I took my foot off the gas pedal, then reapplied the gas the car would be fine. Then that symptom went away and I gained a new symptom. I was driving approximately 30 mph, when all of the sudden my ecs off light and check engine light came on simultaneously, and I instantly lost power/acceleration. It appears that when this happens the car goes into "limp home" mode? it has happened twice to me in the past 3 days. This is very dangerous because the loss of power/acceleration is instant, it happens without warning, and it does not matter how fast you are going. This could cause loss of life if it happens on a highway at a high rate of speed. All of these symptoms began to appear right after I had the recalls done on my vehicle (I.e. brake switch and ECM upgrade). My car was fine before I had the recalls done.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Oct 152011

Sorento 6-cyl

At highway speeds, vehicle check engine light comes on and the power from accelerator greatly reduces. Appears to go into 1st gear, and vehicle only able to drive at 5mph. Stopped car on shoulder, turned engine off and parked. Restarted vehicle with no power or transmission problems; check engine light remained on. After 5 minutes of driving, repeat in activities. Occurred 5 times within 20 mile drive. Very unsafe to have occur on highway.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Oct 032011

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle began to shake abnormally with the illumination of the ESC and the check engine warning lights. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and informed her that the brake switch and throttle position sensor would need replacing. The manufacturer was notified who stated there were no recalls for the vehicle and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 70,436.

- Tampa Bay, FL, USA

Jul 202011

ESC and check engine light comes on my 07 Kia Sorento and loses power. This is a safety concern when driving on freeway speeds. I experienced this for the third time since owning the vehicle. Dealer repaired the throttle positioner two times and now for the third time, dealer will charge you if mileage is +60K. I believe this is a defect that Kia is trying to be mum about it. There are plenty of consumers on the Kia forum expressing disgust about the problem and the safety implications that can happen. I demand an investigation on this matter.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 212011

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while parking the vehicle with her foot on the brake, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into another vehicle in the driveway. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who would inspect the failure. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that a representative would return his call. The failure mileage was 60,456.

- Chaickamauga, GA, USA

Jan 302010

When I press on the accelerator to increase my speed (like when merging, for instance), the car reacts as if I put it in neutral. It stops all forward motion for at least a second. Sometimes as long as five seconds. This has almost resulted in being hit from behind or the side several times. I have had it into the dealership several times, and have taken their mechanics for demonstration rides several times. I've even contacted their home office. Each time the answer is the same, "we can't find anything wrong. It must be you." I fully expect to be involved in a collision in the future caused by this dangerous defect. I can't afford to buy a new car, so I'm stuck with it. I hope you can help.

- Morrison, CO, USA