2011 Kia Sorento body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 042016

Just went to open the driver's side passenger door of my Kia sorrento one day in Jan. 2016, and it would not open. When I took it to the dealer, they were able to get it open from the inside and disengaged the child safety lock, but it still would not open from the outside. I was told it would be $350 to fix it. I went to work a couple weeks later and came out to get in my car and the driver's side would not open. Fortunately I was able to get in the passenger side and reach over to open it. I have been doing that for 7 mo. Now because of a lack of $700 to fix both doors, and lack of time! I am taking it in tomorrow to get them fixed because our daughter and 3 grandchildren are coming this weekend to visit for 2 weeks. I began to panic when I realized if we were in a wreck, no one would be able to get us out on the driver's side, which could be the only available side! my husband called Kia a few months ago about the situation and someone was supposed to call him back, but they never did. I called, but did not have the VIN with me at the time. I find it interesting that so many others have complained about this and nothing is being done to help us with this obvious manufacturing problem, yet I read or saw somewhere something about their customers safety being a priority"?? I just hope it doesn't take a death to get them to act on this! I'm doing my best to be sure it isn't one of my loved ones, but do expect Kia to "man up" and reimburse us! to answer your other questions...the car was stationary, parked, was told it was some mechanism inside the door. I will be able to upload a repair invoice tomorrow after the job is complete. In this case, they say they will use genuine factory parts, but I'm not so sure I want them to!!! are we facing the same "trip" again "down the road?" are these parts going to be any better??" that remains to be seen!

- Lake Placid, FL, USA

Jun 142016

Approximately two months ago, while parked in my driveway, I attempted to open my driver rear passenger door. It would not open from the outside; the mechanism that holds the door shut had somehow managed to stay in the "holding" position which prevented it from being opened from the outside. Just recently my driver door itself has started to do the exact same thing. This causes an issue if there is an accident as it prevents someone from accessing a person seated behind the driver. I have seen several complaints regarding this same issue with the same make/model/year as my vehicle. We would like Kia to issue a recall.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Jul 092015

"takata recall" I have had my Kia for almost 3 years now and since a year ago there is only one door left that will open from the inside and outside in terms of a locking mechanism. Two doors will only open from the inside and the other won't open from the inside or outside. I know the problem will only get worse, but due to any emergencies and having kids it makes it really inconvenient to climb through the back into my front seat.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Jul 012016

Three weeks ago my left side rear door would not open from the outside. I had the child lock on so it will not open from the inside either. Today, I go to leave the house and my driver side door will not open from the outside. Same side, same issue. This seriously needs attention. If I had my children in the car and got into an accident it could mean life or death trying to get them out of the car. Another example: If I were being attacked and needed to get into my car quickly to drive safely away, I would have to enter my vehicle from the passenger side and crawl over to the driver side to start my car. After reading all of the other complaints about the same issue, I feel as if Kia should man up and make this a recall. It is dangerous. It is a safety issue. How many people have to die before the lightbulb goes off"?????" come on Kia. Seriously. Everyone who has this issue please report it!!!!

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Jun 272016

While entering the driver side of the vehicle, the door failed to open as well as the driver side back door due to child lock being activated. I am unable to open the door from the inside on to the back door. Not covered under warranty as my warranty expired in Aug 2015 although I purchased my vehicle June 2011. The 60 months were from the time the dealership purchased the car not me and it only had 400 miles on it.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

May 172016

Rear drivers side door can not be opened from the outside which presents the danger of being burned if vehicle were to catch fire. This condition is now present in a large number of vehicles and I believe should be recalled for repair and categorized a safety hazard. A simple internet search will establish the scope of this defect. Dealer indicates the cost of repair $430 per door.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 262016

Sorento 4-cyl

A couple weeks ago, while my car was parked, I went to open the driver's side door and it would not open. I tried unlocking with the fob and with the key in the door, nothing worked. I had to get into my car through the passenger side, now the only way I can get driver's side door to open, is from the inside. Then a few days ago, during a camping trip, I stepped out of my car to retrieve some things from my trunk. At that time, all doors automatically locked. When I tried to open the car doors to retrieve more things (and my two children), the doors wouldn't open, again, it took several attempts before I could finally unlock the car with the key (it took approximately 15 minutes). It's summer time and my young child was sleeping inside the car. This is definitely a safety hazard given the circumstances. About a day later, the airbag light came on, I'm guessing related to this electrical defect. I contacted the dealer, they say these issues wouldn't fall under warranty and that I had to pay $99 diagnosis fee plus repairs (about $200 per door). Please look into this, I found several similar complains online. Kia is not taking any responsibility. Thank you!

- Crescent Springs, KY, USA

Jun 102016

2011 Kia Sorento rear driver side passenger door cannot be open from the outside. This is safety matter. We can open the door from the outside to get our children or others out of car in case of accident or other emergency? my car only has 58000 miles on it and this issue just started. Due to the safety aspect and the large number of complaints regarding this issue there should be a Kia recall due to this defect.

- Venetia, PA, USA

Jun 212016

Drivers side door on 2011 Kia Sorento will not open from the outside. Inside still works, can hear lock/un-lock I have to either crawl through the car or reach in the window and open from inside. This is a safety issue considering if I get in an accident it hinders the first responders ability to get to me. From what I've read this is an issue a lot of people are having. Kia needs to issue a recall and fix it. My rear door broke 4 months ago, they should not be aloud to use plastic parts on something like this.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Mar 242016

2011 Kia Sorento driver side, both rear doors can not be open either from out side and insider due to child safety. This is safety matter. How we can get our children out of car in case of accident? currently only one door of my car can be open from outside. I am strong believe someone have to take a look and recommend the re-call for this Kia manufacture part defected.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012016

The drivers side door and the passenger door on the drivers side will not open from the outside. Dealer said it is a broken latch. It will open from the inside of the car. The passenger door broke about 6 months ago, the drives door was very recent.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jun 022016

I recently purchased this vehicle back in March 2016. Only to find out 3 months later that my driver's door won't open for the outside. This is really a safety issue. The cost to repair it should be on Kia not the owner since we haven't did any damage. I can see if we as the owners are causing the damage but we aren't

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Apr 152016

Back drivers side door handle stopped working, unable to open door from outside of vehicle. Today 6/2/16 drivers side door handle stopped working as well. This is very dangerous I read several post where all 4 doors stopped working, what if there is an emergency and you are unable to get into your vehicle because the doors wont open. Leaving the windows open is not an option since it puts the vehicle at risk for potential theft. Kia dealers are charging almost $400 per door for what is clearly a defect on the vehicle as many people have complained about the same issue on the 2011 model.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 292016

Passenger rear door will not open from the inside or outside no matter what I try. I couldn't get my child out, had to crawl through car to do this. The child safety lock is engaged but does not explain being unable to open from the outside. I'm going to the dealer to get it taken care of tomorrow. But this is not covered under my powertrain warrantee. It should be a no brainer that this is a recall item. I've seen other's comments and there is no way I saved up my money to spend it on a repetitive $400 repair as I have seen others do. I have a five year old and another one on the way this August. I am livid because frankly I feel like driving my beater car is safer than driving the Sorento. But I worked my butt off to be able to afford the Sorento because I thought it would be safer. I was so wrong.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

May 282016

Car doors will not open from outside, will open from inside but not outside. No child safety lock is not on. I see hundreds of people online with this problem. I'm afraid of not being able to reach my child or pet in car. Kia repair man said it is faulty part but not a safety issue.

- Washington, NJ, USA

May 202016

This is complaint number two for my Sorento. On May 20, 2016 my passenger side front door will not open from the outside. This is the second door on the same vehicle that will not open. Kia has used a defective part that breaks on the inside of the door without warning, and not due to normal wear.

- Bristow, VA, USA

May 152016

I have had several issues with the doors. It started with my front drivers door and now it is the back passenger door. You cannot open the door from the outside and you have to take the door apart to fix it. However, I can't open my back door at all because my child safety lock is on, so I cannot open it from the inside like I do with my drivers door. I am unable to get my kids in or out of the car, without having to put them all in through one door and over car seats. I am not the only one who has had this problem. Several people have. Here is the link to the complaints if there was ever and emergency I would not be able to get my children out in a timely manner.

- Easley, SC, USA

May 172016

The exterior door handle on driver's door stopped working. The vehicle can only be opened from the inside.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Apr 182016

The driver's side outside door handle broke. The door will not open from the outside. The vehicle was stationary, parked in a parking lot

- Cols, OH, USA

May 112016

Door latch from outside of drivers door decided to stop working. A reasonable person would understand this to be a safety issue. Kia does not. They keep extra parts on hand to complete this expensive repair. Apparently, it happens often. This is not proper or just. Others having this problem.

- Portland, MI, USA