CarComplaints.com Notes: Kia really changed the design of the Sorento in the 2011 model year. Instead of a truck-like body-on-frame more capable of offroad adventures, the newest Sorento is a unibody construction and is much more crossover than sport utility. The changes brought a whole slew of problems, including a frustrating problem where the door that won’t open. Is it too late to go back?

2.8

2011 Kia Sorento miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 052016

Sorento

One day last week I went to open my driver's side door & it wouldn't open. Took it to the shop & they had to take the whole door apart to find out what part was needed which took them several hours. It's going to cost me $500 to get this fixed. I have noticed many people complaining about the same. Thing.

- Cave City, KY, USA

Mar 012016

Sorento

Door actuator in passenger front is not working. The door does not unlock or open from the outside. Apparently this is a wide spread issue among 2011 Kia sorenta owner due to plastic parts. I don't understand why this is not a safety issue. If I am in an accident and paramedics would like to retrieve the person from the passenger seat they wouldn't be able to access unless they break the window.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jun 182016

Sorento

On 6/18/16 my driver side front door would not open from the outside. I had been having ongoing problems with the remote key not working also. During routine oil changes, I would ask for the remote key to be checked and the service people would state they could not duplicate the problem. On 6/24/26 I took the car into my local Kia service shop. They told me that the latch inside the door needed to be repaired and charged me $400. While waiting for my car, I googled to see how much the latch should cost, but instead I happened upon S website car guru and found out that multiple people have been having the same problem. Some with multiple door latches gone bad. Some have been locked inside the car too. I it old the service guy what I saw on the web and ask why hasn't there been S recall. He respectfully told me to call the manufacturer. I did right then and there and put in a complaint with a Kia consumer complaint case manager. Other say they have been reporting to Kia and they won't recall the faulty latch. Not being able to get in and out of your car is very unsafe. This is a widespread problem and we need help. Thanks.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Jun 182016

Sorento

I have been having problems on and off with my remote key not locking or unlocking the doors. I've taken my car in for oil changes and have complained about the issue, but service was unable to duplicate this issue. It is still an issue. My main complaint is today I'm in for service because my driver side door will only open from the inside. I'm being charge $475 for a latch replacement. I am seeing on the web that multiple people are having the same problem with one or multiple doors on their Kia vehicles. Kia has not done a recall. I did make a formal complaint to Kia Consumer Affairs today. This is S big safety issue. Some folks have been locked inside their vehicles as well,

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Aug 032015

Sorento

"takata recall" front passager door can not open from outside and passger side door on driver side can not open from outside or inside. This is very dangerous if anyone of the passagers need to get out for what ever the reason in an emergency. How can you buy a car and not be able to get in or out of it. Please this needs to be fixed and not at my expence.

- Gretna, LA, USA

May 222016

Sorento

Drivers side door on 2011 Kia Sorento will not open from the outside. Inside still works, can hear lock/un-lock but seems like outside latch is stuck in the lock position. Have to either crawl through the car or reach in the window and open from inside. Still have extended warranty on car (82,000 miles) but was still going to cost me $200 to fix it. Why am I paying $200 to fix a handle on a car that is well under warranty. This is a safety issue considering if I get in an accident it hinders the first responders ability to get to me. From what I've read this is an issue a lot of people are having. Kia needs to issue a recall and fix it.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 282016

Sorento

Rear door latches both broke within three days of each other. Unable to open either door from inside or outside because of the internal child safety locks in place combined with the defective external door latches. The doors would unlock and lock, but still would not open because of the broken door latches.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Jun 072016

Sorento

Driver's door suddenly stopped opening from the outside. It can be opened from the inside. I need to enter the vehicle from the passenger side and climb across. My husband has back problems and is now unable to drive the car because he can't get in by himself. I have 2 young children, and am scared that I will be unable to get them out of the car if other door handles break or malfunction in a similar manner.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Apr 072016

Sorento

Driver's door on 2011 Kia Sorento will not open from the outside. This is a safety issue should the driver become incapacitated. This is a well known and documented problem that Kia refuses to address with a recall of its defective product.

- Holiday, FL, USA

May 272016

Sorento

My driver side 2011 Kia Sorento door handles stopped working on 05/27/2016. This is really frustrating, as I could open the door from inside but not from outside. I think it's a safety issue in case of an a accident/fire. This is a potential hazard for my family. Kia has to really step forward and replace this faulty mechanism. My car is just out of warranty and the estimate to fix it is $400. I urge the Kia company to really fix this asap before someone gets hurt and/or result into fatality. There too many people having this problem.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 172016

Sorento

The drivers door would not open from outside. This accrued when I return to my car in half an hour. This is posing a hazard due to inability of first respondents to open door, if this happens again. I had my Kia dealer repair it. It did not fall under any warranty, the failure millage 99,000. However, due to many complains of this exact problem from other owners, I think Kia should be responsible for replacing latches and making a recall.

- Boalsburg, PA, USA

May 252016

Sorento

Takata recall Kia Sorento 2011 my driver side and back passenger doors don't open from the outside when not in motion or in motion. My air bag light is on as well. I called Kia and they want to charge me $500 dollars for a diagnostic because I am over my warranty. I tried contacting the Kia's headquarter and all I get is a recording. This illegal and its extremely dangerous if I get into a car accident. I have children as well. What can I do to get Kia to fix this matter. I when on the website and read several complaints with the same problem. Why is this matter not a recall. Kia is putting peoples life in danger. I need my doors fixed. I have to climb through the right passenger car turn on the car bring the window down and then walk around and open from the inside. This is ridiculous. Kia should not be charging owners of there vehicle for this since its a safety matter. Please what can I do to get this matter fixed as soon as possible?

- Clermont, FL, USA

May 232016

Sorento

My drivers side door won't open from the outside. I can hear it when it lock and unlock but it will not open. I tried to use the key and it still would not open. I have to go around to the passenger side door and open it from the inside. This really worries me. The "what if" is concerning. To me, this is a safety concern if I am in an accident and the emergency persons can not get my door open to go me out. Or to have my grandson stuck in the car and me not be able to get him out. I called my Kia repair shop today and was told to bring it in as soon as possible. I'm curious to see what the issue is and what they plan to do about it. I only have about 61K miles on this vehicle and no extended warranty. Hence, another concern. Kia dealers should take responsibility for this issue and repair what is causing our doors to not open. We can not wait until someone dies.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 232016

Sorento

The drivers door would not open. Now the drivers side, passenger door won't open from outside and inside. Posing a hazard, because first responders will not be able to open the door due to a reoccuring defect. Many other consumers report this in blogs and forums so this is Kia's problem to fix and make a recall.

- Fort Rucker, AL, USA

May 152016

Sorento

I have had several issues with the doors. It started with my front drivers door and now it is the back passenger door. You cannot open the door from the outside and you have to take the door apart to fix it. However, I can't open my back door at all because my child safety lock is on, so I cannot open it from the inside like I do with my drivers door. I am unable to get my kids in or out of the car, without having to put them all in through one door and over car seats. I am not the only one who has had this problem. Several people have. Here is the link to the complaints www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T37046_ds615605. if there was ever and emergency I would not be able to get my children out in a timely manner.

- Easley, SC, USA

May 152016

Sorento

Rear driver side door will not open from inside or outside. This is a 2011 Kia Sorento with 70,000 miles

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

May 072016

Sorento

Subject: Kia Sorento 2011 door latch problem comments: When my 2011 Kia Sorento driver's door latch could not be opened from the outside (but works using the inside latch), I at first thought it was an unusual problem, probably a broken plastic part or a bent rod, etc. But after researching this problem on the internet, I see there are hundreds of owners who have had the same problem, some one door at a time until all four doors break. Apparently, Kia maintains this is not a safety problem, nor is there any extended warranty protection. This position is simply not true, as evidenced by comments from owners concerning exiting the vehicle under emergency conditions such as fire, accidents, immersion in water, etc. Some owners mentioned extra difficulty when transporting young children, etc. The only viable solution other than paying unreasonable charges to have the door lock assemblies repaired by Kia, which appear to average $400-$500 per door is for a recall to be issued, requiring dealer repair at no customer expense. I understand some of the latest models have door lock mechanisms which have been re-engineered to eliminate this problem, which does nothing to help those owners who will be driving the earlier models far into the future. There certainly seems to be a great enough number of vehicles with this recurring problem to at least warrant a careful investigation by your Agency, not concentrating on the frustration experienced by affected owners, but instead seriously considering all the possible safety concerns raised thus far. A death by fire or drowning caused by a seat belt problem is no more important than one caused by a defective door opening mechanism.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Apr 182016

Sorento

One of the 2011 Kia Sorento door handles not working since 09/11/2015 and now the other driver side door handle stopped working since 04/18/2015. This is really frustrating, as I could open the door from inside but not from outside. I have two small kids, one infant and one 5 year old and I have to sneak one of them into the other door to open my driver side door. I am really frightened if what will happen if the child door is locked my infant is in the car seat and I am not able to go inside my car. This is a potential hazard for my infant child. Kia has to really step forward and replace this faulty mechanism. The cost my Kia dealer estimates is 225/- per door, so it will end up in 450/- bucks for me and also the rep at Kia dealer told me to go ahead and change all four door parts as the original parts used by Kia is really cheap and its of plastic. So it will cost me around 900/- to fix my doors. I urge the Kia company to really fix this asap before someone gets hurt and/or result into fatality.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Apr 102016

Sorento

A couple of months ago the passanger side door gave out, I can't open it from the outside, closely after the back driver side door did same thing. Now today my drivers side door and trunk won't open. I have one door that opens from the outside, I have to climb over or leave a window open to get into my car. Why hasn't there been a recall, this is so unsafe for us and our children. I loved my Kia now I'm starting to think it was a bad purchase. I took my car to Kia and was quoted $900 to fix two doors, I was told it was the actuator.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 082016

Sorento

All power doors are unlocked, but front driver side door can not be opened from outside. It can be opened from inside. Door handle, door latch and actuator seems working ok. It is a safety concern as door cannot be opened from outside even as doors are unclocked.

- Katy, TX, USA