2011 Kia Sorento seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 182015

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While driving at any speed, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring failed and caused the air bag warning light to remain illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,800.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Sep 012015

I turned on my car and the airbag light came on. I took it to the dealers a week later and was told the clock spring in the steering wheel has a shortage and it will cost approx. $450 to have it replaced. I was also told that this service is not under warranty.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Aug 132015

Sorento 4-cyl

My airbag light is on and according to the Kia dealership there is a malfunction that needs to be repaired. They told me that my car went our of warranty in early June 2015 and that I have to pay for this repair(approx $500). This strikes me as wrong since there has never been an accident with my vehicle and thus the airbag has never deployed. How can they claim that my airbag is broken since it has never been used/activated? how can it not be the manufacturer"S/dealer responsibility to correct the defect. Could you please help me with this situation. Consumer email update on Sept 3, 2015: "they have given us the info today regarding what's wrong with the airbag: It needs a clock-spring for the airbag that is located somewhere in the steering column. I have not had any horn or cruise control malfunctions, but the airbag light is on all the time." Updated 9/15/15......updated 12/10/15 the consumer was informed the clock spring needed to be replaced. Updated 12/17/15.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jun 252015

Upon starting vehicle the airbag light stayed illuminated. Taken to mechanic that states it's a malfunction in the airbag system. I've never been in an accident or deployed the airbags. It is scary to know that if I was involved in an accident I wouldn't have the safety of airbags designed to save lives. I've taken to the dealer and they want 2000 to fix. I feel this is a safety hazard and should be covered under a recall. I have done a lot of research and it seems like it's a common problem affecting many Sorento owners. Please investigate.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 222015

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While driving 60-70 mph, the contact attempted to switch lanes due to construction on the highway and crashed into the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained fractures on her ribs, nose, cervix, and pelvic bone. The rear passenger sustained right optical bone and sinus bone fractures. The contact sustained a right leg injury, hip fracture, and spinal injuries. Medical attention was required for the contact and the two passengers. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 79,000.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Jul 202015

Dash light with the airbag logo came on as I was starting up today, and stayed on. Went straight to Kia dealership, the one we always use. Service advisor said he's seen a lot of them, same problem. He agreed that $2,000 was very expensive for this repair. This malfunction disables all the airbags. In the event of an accident, we are toast. Kelly blue book rates this vehicle at a value of $9500, in mint condition, which this is. 21% of the value for a repair" are you kidding me" very disappointed that this is an issue for so many ( I did check the internet, it's a common problem) and no one chooses to take it seriously. We just went around with the tire pressure monitoring system, and finally they replaced that on a recall, but we had a blowout on I-81 at 70 mph that could've ended our life.....someone needs to look into this. I appreciate anything you can do.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Jun 162015

Airbag sensor light came on suddenly. Took vehicle to dealership and after "resetting" the sensor light three times they needed to take more diagnostics. They came back that the clock spring needed to be changed. This repair for part and labor is $500. I couldn't get it fixed today so if I get into an accident the drivers airbag will not deploy.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jun 112015

Sorento 6-cyl

Air bag light came on will not go off have an apt with dealership tomorrow they say $45 to run a diagnostic check because there is no recall. And it is not covered so we will see about a cost I don't feel safe not knowing if my air bags are not going to work..updated 07/13/15

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Jun 062015

The airbag light went on when I started car and will not go off. There has been no accidents.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Good afternoon, I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and the airbag light stayed on. When I took it to the dealer it was the clock spring. I paid to have my vehicle fix last fall. However, looking on the internet this seems to happen a lot in Kia cars. Why havent Kia reported this issue? I was rear ended recently and none of my airbags deployed. Im wondering if Kia is hiding this issue. The person at the shop told me a clock spring should not go bad on a fairly new vehicle. Someone needs to look into this situation before someone gets killed. Kia is ripping off car owners because they wont acknowledge the problem publicly. I hope someone will investigate this situation. Please copy and past the above url to see what Kia owners have to say.

- Washington , DC, USA

Feb 142015

The contact owned a 2011 Kia Sorento. While at a stop, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a whiplash as well as spine and back injuries. The front passenger sustained injuries to the neck and back along with whiplash, the second passenger sustained spinal, neck, and back pains. The third passenger sustained minor back pains from the impact. All required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and was not diagnosed to determine why the air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: (air bags). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Kenansville , NC, USA

Dec 192014

Sorento 6-cyl

My vehicle was traveling at about 50 miles and hour and a car turned in front of me and I T- boned him. My car went up onto the 2 front wheels and then skidded into a telephone pole at about 30 miles an hour. My car is totaled. My concern is that the air bags never deployed during either impact and I think they should have. I have pictures to show the condition of the car...updated 01/21/15 */bf updated 01/26/15

- Washingtonville, NY, USA

Oct 142014

The contact owned a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, another vehicle stopped abruptly causing the contact lose control of the vehicle and crash into a ditch. The contact sustained head and face lacerations due to an object ejected from the air bag when it deployed. The contact required medical attention and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Vivian , LA, USA

Oct 272014

The air bag light on the dash does not go off I am not sure if that is a safety think this the airbags are not or will deploy while we are driving.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Sep 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the clock spring assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Easley, SC, USA

Aug 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the driver side air bag sensor light illuminated indicating that the air bag system was faulty. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no remedy was offered. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 082014

Airbag light came on at approximately 70000 miles, reset and remained off for a while. Back on at 72000 miles. Diagnosed by dealer that it is related to faulty passenger side OCS sensor mat, with repair cost of approx. $2000. Contacted Kia and they checked with district manager to see if they would do anything regarding the issue (fix, discount, etc.) and was informed they would not. Unfortunately out of standard warranty due to mileage...which to me a safety sensor becoming faulty would have nothin to do with mileage and is not really that old. Exhuberant cost for most people to repair, which we currently do not have finances to do. In researching, after the fact, appears Kia has had a long line of issues with airbag and OCS sensors. Makes me wonder if issues still exist in this model, but most are still being covered under warranty or if we happened to just get a "lemon". (not only issue we have had with car, but being related to safety wanted to share.)

- Ellendale, MN, USA

Jul 152014

Sorento 4-cyl

When making a left turn at approximately 5-10 mph, I was broadsided on drivers side by another SUV traveling at 35mph. None of my air bags deployed. I would have expected the side head rail bag to deploy, particularly the one right next to the drivers head. It did not. According to the iihs, this air bag should have deployed in this type of side-impact crash. I had to be taken to the local hospital by rescue squad and am suffering with severe back and neck pain as well as severe headaches from this collision...updated 10/08/14 updated 3/24/2015

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Mar 272014

Sorento 6-cyl

2011 Kia Sorento. Consumer writes in regards to airbag light illuminated. The dealer recommended replacing the air bag, at a cost of $ 1200.00

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Nov 212013

Sorento 4-cyl

Significant side impact on front passenger side door, but side air bags did not deploy. Passenger's seat was broken, and passenger received broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured vertebrae. Vehicle was declared a total loss.

- Lyman, WY, USA