2011 Kia Sorento seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Sorento:

2011 Kia Sorento Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 052016

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. After starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact was concerned that the vehicle was not on the recall list. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Airbag warning light came on unexpectedly even though the airbags have never been deployed and there has been no damage to the vehicle. I have been advised by the dealer that the airbags will not deploy since the light is on. My vehicle has approximately 75,000 miles. There are numerous complaints online about this same issue describing a broken clock spring or passenger occupant sensor mat. Kia has had this same issue with other models as well and there needs to be a recall asap.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 152016

My air bag light is on so we hooked up the scanner and it threw the code B1346 for the clock spring which seems to be a problem with alot of other's as well.I think their should be a recall and I will be calling Kia and complaining

- Belleview, FL, USA

Aug 112015

The airbag light lit up so I took it to the dealer. They said it was the clock spring and not covered under warranty. They also wanted to let me know that my airbags will probably not deploy if I get in a wreck. Multiple owners of Sorento's have complained and there should be a recall. Kia recalled the hondo in 2007 or 08 for the same problem. This is not acceptable! they want $500 to replace it!

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 072016

Kia sent a notice that they are extending the warranty for the front airbag clock spring assembly. My airbag light is staying illuminated so I took it into the dealer for a diagnostic. The dealer informed me that the issue is not the clock spring assembly its the occupant classification mat. This means that if I am in a crash my front airbag will not deploy and I am risking the life of my passenger. Why is this issue not included with the notice that they sent since it also involves the airbag and the airbag sensor?

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Jun 262016

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the air bag lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,223.

- Clinton, TN, USA

May 072016

Air bag light on without any accident. This is safety matter. Air bag will not deplore in case of accident.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 252016

Takata recall Kia Sorento 2011 my driver side and back passenger doors don't open from the outside when not in motion or in motion. My air bag light is on as well. I called Kia and they want to charge me $500 dollars for a diagnostic because I am over my warranty. I tried contacting the Kia's headquarter and all I get is a recording. This illegal and its extremely dangerous if I get into a car accident. I have children as well. What can I do to get Kia to fix this matter. I when on the website and read several complaints with the same problem. Why is this matter not a recall. Kia is putting peoples life in danger. I need my doors fixed. I have to climb through the right passenger car turn on the car bring the window down and then walk around and open from the inside. This is ridiculous. Kia should not be charging owners of there vehicle for this since its a safety matter. Please what can I do to get this matter fixed as soon as possible?

- Clermont, FL, USA

Apr 012016

About a month ago I discovered that my air bag light came on. Well apparently I am not the only person that has complained about this. I called my nearest dealership which is in huntsville Alabama to let them know about this problem of course they informed me that there will be a $120 charge just to check to see what is causing this problem, I suppose to have an extended warranty which I feel has expired so therefore the charges are all on me. I did some research only to find that thousands of consumers have complained about the same thing with the same model. I want to know what can we get done about this issue before someone gets injured. Thanks aletha

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 092016

We too have the "air bag" light lit up on our Kia- have done nothing to cause damage to air bag system except for maybe move the seat.

- Nitro, WV, USA

Apr 142016

Fault code B1620, internal fault replace srscm. Just out of warranty 107000 mls. No previous air bag deployment. Many complaints on line but no recall. $1000 to fix. This is a safety issue and should be recalled at Kia's expense.

- Portage, MI, USA

Feb 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. While operating the vehicle, the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the front driver side air bag was deflating. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Casper, WY, USA

Apr 102013

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle ahead stopped suddenly without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into rear end of the vehicle. The air bag failed to deploy. The driver sustained a head injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact mentioned that 24,000 miles after the failure occurred, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring and the front passenger side seat air bag sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Dec 112015

After changing the battery the airbag/SRS light will not shut off. Diagnostic error code is B1346. The are a number of postings online about this with very dissatisfied customers. Kia did a similar recall under: 12V014000. Called Kia and they said they wouldn't do anything.

- Tolland, CT, USA

Jul 252015

Air bag light came on. Took the vehicle to the dealership and the service rep said it was the faulty clock spring assembly. The service rep also stated that Kia had already issued a similar recall on a 2008 model. If the airbags/sytsems are vital safety requirements. Then why are they going bad with-in 3yrs of being manufactured? please do not wait until people die to issue a recall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 192015

Original owner '11 Sorento 4cyl, AWD w/tow package & approx 88K miles. Problem 1st noticed about 2 mos ago when seat belt light began flashing with audible clicking coming from relay behind dash. It was daytime when this happened 1st few times & I could not duplicate problem. This issue seemed to happen after starting car & would go away after a few moments of driving. Releasing & re-connecting seat belt had no effect. The 1st time it happened @ night I realized that the headlights & dash lights would flash on & off also. Still could not duplicate problem, but being a mechanic I watched for it to happen and tried different things to see if they had any effect on the issue. Always would begin after initially starting car, but not do it most times. Then 3 evenings ago, I found it happening every time I would start the car & would even do it afterwards driving down the road. I was 70 miles from home & tried to get back. It didn't matter whether the headlight switch was on, off or auto, it would still flash all lights & seatbelt light w/clicking from relay. On the way home, while driving a rural road, the lights again started blinking on & off causing me to hit a metal pole a drainage ditch thru farmer's fence into his field. Accident pushed metal bumper (behind bumper cover) back about 12", tore the entire front end &lights from car & bent hood back 1 1/2 feet and buckled it upward - all of this without ever deploying the airbag.these problems are prevalent in this car as I have read, but I now have a vehicle which despite it's damage will now duplicate the lights going on & off every time the car is turned on. Have contacted Kia Corp in hopes that they will want to use my car to get to the cause of this issue & finally correct it. As a mechanic I very well understand the need to be able to duplicate problem to find cause..... Kia now has no excuse.

- Harrison, AR, USA

Nov 012015

I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and my airbag light is on when I turned on the vehicle. I have not yet taken it to a dealership but I am seeing a lot of complaints about this same issue. Why hasn't Kia recalled this" do they really need a death in order to fix the problem"

- Austin, TX, USA

May 012015

2011 Kia Sorento airbag light came on out the blue. Took to dealership was advised either defective passanger airbag or the sensor for passenger seat. Would have to pay $$$ to put on diagnostic. Car jerks forward when switching gears. Also, car just accelerated by itself.. put the car in park and it jerks forward. Its jerks so hard I could get the car doesn't want to stop.scarriest thing ever. I am really concerned how sometimes I don't even have to press the brake to put in gear. Last, went to change headlight, rightside extremely jot and could hear boiling like something cooking.

- Union City, GA, USA

Sep 212015

After jump starting the 2nd battery installed by Kia in 5 years 4 months 21 days on my Kia Sorento, the air bag warning light came on and stayed on. I took it to my dealer and asked if this meant that my air bags would not work, they said they thought that might be the case so I had them look at it. I was told that the air bag module assy needed to be replaced at 37,697 miles at the cost of $864.45 and of course my car was 4 months and 21 days out of warranty. It seems to me that something this critical for safety should never go out and certainly be covered under warranty this close to 5 years. My stop lamp switch went out 10/11/2011, 8,031 miles and was fixed under warranty and then on 4/1/2013 it was recalled. I hope they do not wait this long for the airbag module to be recalled and I would hope they would also reimburse for the replacement that I have paid for. I notice that I am not the only person with this complaint regarding the airbag problem on the 2011 Kia Sorento.

- Brea, CA, USA

Oct 022015

The airbag sensor light is on and the dealership is saying I need a new passenger airbag weight sensor. The cost is $1,800! Kia previously recalled the 2007 and 2008 models but the problem seems to be happening on newer models as well. It seems that this is a safety issue and not normal wear and tear. Please consider a recall.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA