CarComplaints.com Notes: As long as catastrophic engine failure at under 60,000 miles is the top owner complaint, it'll be pretty hard to recommend the 2012 Sorento.

2.8

2012 Kia Sorento brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Kia Sorento:

2012 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Jan 102016

Sorento

We own 2012 Kia Sorento sx, purchased new. The car has 79643 miles. Our family was driving on interstate 84 from boston to Connecticut. The car was driving at 60~65 mph. Suddenly, the car tpm (tire pressure monitoring) came on and within 5~10 second all lights ( traction control/ battery/ all wheel drive) started flashing. It was raining and wiper stopped in middle. All of these events occurred within 10~15 seconds. I pulled over from left lane to center lane. I felt car is losing power with no wipers running. I than pulled over to the breakdown lane the car started shaking and engine tuned off. The breaks were hard to press. After the car was turned off - I cannot even move the shifter from drive mode to parking. We called the tow truck and towed the car to Kia of East hartford ( Kia's dealer in ct) I was lucky to pull over without any accident or tragic. This kind of sudden death of car without warning is very dangerous. I called Kia customer service team to report this incidence and they were not even concerned. I reviewed the comment/ complain from other customer about the similar incidence they experienced as well. I request want NHTSA to investigate the matter.

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Aug 222013

Sorento

I was driving my 2012 Kia Sorento on a flat residential road in fair weather and came to stop at a stop sign. After going forward about 20ft after the stop sign my car just died. It completely turned off, all electrical, the engine, everything and I had to put it in park to restart the engine. This has happened on 4 separate occasions, 1 time on a hill, 1 time in rush hour traffic with a tractor trailer behind me, and again on my way home in a residential area. I took the vehicle to the Kia dealership and was told that they could not re-create the problem and no error codes came up. I do not know what to do. I am scared for my life driving this car.

- Bowie, MD, USA

May 272014

Sorento 6-cyl

For the third time in a 2 month span, my 2012 Kia Sorento has completely shut down as we have been driving it. We are at the 60K miles mark. This is very dangerous. Two of the three times we have been doing around 40 mph on very busy streets and thank god, we did not hit another car or get hit. The vehicle with zero warning, will just die and we will lose all power steering, we can't shift gears, and the brakes do not work like they normally do. The first time I thought it was just a battery, so I replaced it. But since then we have had it at the dealership twice and they do not know what is wrong with it. They will get it running again and then a couple of weeks later, it will die again. I have two babies that ride in this vehicle and I am looking at my options to getting rid of it. This vehicle is very dangerous!!

- Denton, TX, USA

Apr 052013

Sorento 6-cyl

My family and I (wife, 4 year old daughter and 9 month old daughter) had just exited the freeway and entered our housing complex. While driving through the neighborhood our vehicle's engine as well as all electrical components turned off. We were in motion at the time it turned off. We had another vehicle behind us, but luckily they saw our vehicle slowing down and drove around us. My wife was driving and stated everything locked up and, as expected, she had to muscle the steering to pull to the side and out of the way of traffic. The brake pedal was also depressed all the way to the floor, and had no ABS. We had to wait for the vehicle to come to a complete stop then put the vehicle in park and start the engine back up. I initially told my wife to put it in neutral but after trying that, it did not work. After we got the vehicle back on we drove straight home. I contacted citrus Kia that day and told them what had happened. I was told that they have not heard of that issue and would have no way confirming what happened unless it did it while they were inspecting it. My vehicle was being serviced from 4/10/13- 4/13/13. The end result is that they could not locate the problem but did do a number of inspections to "hopefully" prevent the problem from re-occurring. They told me there is nothing more they could do as they have no way of actually verifying why the vehicle shut off while in motion. As of this writing I was advised I could come down and pick up my vehicle, but will refuse until the problem is found and resolved, as this is my wife's vehicle and I do not want this same problem happening and it resulting in a injury or fatal collision. I have read edmunds.com (townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F13B7ca/40) and see similar complaints with no resolution. Please please help.

- Eastvale, CA, USA