2016 Kia Sorento drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Sorento:

2016 Kia Sorento Owner Comments

Jul 252016

Sorento

My wife had the vehicle parked on a slight slope in her moms drive way maybe a 10 degree hill. She placed the vehicle in park and left it running while my daughter finished a birthday card she was making in the back seat. My wife stepped out of the vehicle to get some tissue paper out of the back with the drivers door open she pressed the rear door /hatch release or open button located on the dash. She pressed the button at that moment the vehicle came out of park and went into reverse nearly running her over she tried to get in but the vehicle took off to fast she was knocked over my daughter was in the car rolling out of control down the drive way. The vehicle followed the driveway down crossing the main road only doing some light damage where it ran over the mail box and stopped by hitting a tree. We contacted Kia and our insurance. Kia opened a case #K3237787 and then they have not responded since. We took the vehicle to the dealer where it was purchased and left it there. We have still no answers what they are planning to do with this vehicle. This event happened on 7-25-2016. We are requesting some help due to not having a vehicle we feel is safe to park and not worrying about it coming out of gear and potentially killing someone in its path. We also would like to have our vehicle repaired and back to drive since we are paying for it.

- Oakwood, GA, USA

Jul 112016

Sorento

The ECM failed engine light on engine stammering wouldn't accelerate they reprogramed ECM I drove it 22 miles engine light on slowly it will speed up won't shift correctly tech told me I had better hope the fix works, rear view mirror won't change unless you hold flash light to sensor, light through back window won't darken mirror tech tested with flash light on the sensor and told me there wasn't a problem he didn't test through back window I have complained at 2 dealerships about the mirror no repairs

- Kennedale, TX, USA

Apr 112015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that the vehicle could be shut off while it was engaged in any gear. On several occasions, the contact shut off the vehicle without it being parked and the vehicle rolled away. The last time the failure occurred, the contact fell to the ground while attempting to get in the vehicle. The contact was able to get up and stop the vehicle before it crashed. The dealer stated that the vehicle did not come equipped with a gear shift interlock. The failure mileage was 10,300.

- Bradley Beach, NJ, USA

Nov 012015

Sorento

You can shift the car from park to reverse/drive without putting enough pressure on the brake peddle to actually engage the brake pads to the brake rotors. If you aren't pay attention to how hard you are pressing on the brake peddle, the call will start to move at a normal speed. I have taken the car to two Kia dealerships and I have been told this is normal and safe. I feel that this is a huge safety issue. One dealership even checked other 2016 Sorentos on the lot and it was the same for them as well. This happens every day.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Dec 302015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2016 Kia Sorento. After parking the vehicle on an incline, the driver exited the vehicle. Approximately 15 minutes later, the vehicle began to roll down the hill and crashed into several trees. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Jericho, VT, USA