2015 Kia Soul wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Kia Soul:

2015 Kia Soul Owner Comments

Jan 222016

Soul

I was coming out of a red light intersection and when I tried turning to the left the car would not turn and kept going straight. It turned minimally and hit the curb scratching the 2 passenger side wheels (front and back). No airbags were deployed as I was only at maybe 20-30mph. As the car aligned with the road again I notice the steering is 90% impaired. I still manage to drive home as there were very few cars on the road but the car would randomly sometimes, very strongly veer to the right or left, making it extremely dangerous. I remember there was a recall letter I had received and when I got home I checked it out and it described exactly what had happened to me: "the pinion plug which secures the pinion gear to the steering gear assembly may loosen due to the use of adhesive with insufficient bonding strength during assembly. If the plug loosens sufficiently, the pinion gear may separate from the steering gear assembly which could cause loss of steering and result in a crash.". I think in my case this pinion came completely loose and that caused the crash. The car was just towed to a Kia dealership but now they will inspect and decide if that was the case or not. What if they simply decide they will say this was caused to something else and not the recall issue?

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Dec 192015

Soul

Mechanically, technically the vehicle is fine. My problem is there is no spare tire, no even a donut. There is an inflator/tire repair kit but that does no good when one gets a hole in the side of the tire. Kia does have 24 hour free tow to the dealership to rectify the situation, and I believe even motel accommodations in case this occurs on a road trip, but I feel it is still a safety hazard. For example late at night, maybe on the way to work at 4:30 in the morning. Also the sales department(s) do not do a good job in explaining the lack of a spare. It's my understanding some other makes also have the same infiltrator kit to replace the spare. Kia dealers do sell a kit for about $200, maybe $300, my solution is, Kia should be required to provide these now at no costs to customers. I found about this the tough way on an out of town trip (between savannah, ga and beaufort, SC)...I am from the orangeburg, SC area, so was about 90 miles from home, on the Saturday before christmas (12-19-15)...they did offer to tow me to the Kia dealership in savannah, but it would be closed by the time we got there.

- Cope, SC, USA

Oct 252014

Soul

While driving down fairmount blvd. I hit a pot hole, causing my tire to go flat and the air bags came out.

- East Cleveland, OH, USA