2008 Kia Spectra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Spectra:

2008 Kia Spectra Owner Comments

Mar 042016

While driving hwy at 70 miles, when I increase to 75/80 the car violently downshifts. I am afraid to drive on the highway now because of it. I thought I ran over something but no, it did it again with my 83 year old mother in passenger seat. We were both shook up over it. Now, I do go past 50 because I don't feel safe and it's only 8 years old.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

May 102012

The clear coat is coming off.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Jun 102013

The passenger detection sensor in the passenger seat would sometimes work on and off while driving, or while they shifted in the seat. The light that says the passenger airbag was off would stay on (meaning the sensor would not detect someone in the seat) and the red error light on the dash would stay on. Now the sensor does not work at all (and has not for the past few years). This was after the warranty expired and asking my mechanic said I should take it to an upholsterer to get it fixed. The issue still has not been fixed due to the estimated cost.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 252015

I was driving my car, March 2013 and the car died while pulling into the driveway. I was at a red light in May 2014 and the car died at the stop light. For those two incidents the Kia dealership indicated an issue with the charcoal canister. Now, I have a third incident that occurred April 25, 2015, I was driving approximately 40 miles per hour and the wheels locked up and the car died while driving on a main street. My vehicle has been at the dealership for 3 business days and they are not able to determine why the car is stopping. This is a safety issue for me. These incidents could have happened on the freeway and could have caused a fatality. The Kia dealership has been diligently trying to diagnose the issue however; they have been unable to determine the root cause. I am sharing this information just in case other drivers are experiencing this issue.

- Southfield, MI, USA