2009 Kia Spectra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Spectra:

2009 Kia Spectra Owner Comments

Apr 012016

This car is trying to kill me. I turn on my car, feet aren't on the pedals, my rpms rev and sputter up to 4,000+ without me doing anything. Sometimes it will launch me a bit when I'm trying to back out of a parking spot. Sometimes I'll be at a stop sign or a red light, completely stopped, foot on the brake, hard. Cross-traffic flowing. Suddenly my engine revvs and my car lunges forward. Wtf Kia" I've taken it to Kia once and they told me its a transmission problem that's going to cost more than the car is even worth and more money than I have to spend. So now what? I'm going to pay for a life endangering mechanical problem that likely costs dollars and minutes to fix because the mechanic thinks its a transmission problem" hopefully something is resolved before this car wrecks itself.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 182015

The back seal belts stop working. They will not come out no matter what I try. They have been doing this since I got the cat in 2012. But now they won't come out at all. Also the blower for the A/C or heat stopped working. I had to slam my hood for it to come on but now it completely stopped coming on.

- Justice, IL, USA

Jul 012010

After parking car, the key will not turn on ignition. Locks up.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Aug 312010

The vehicle locks on its own. The car locks have a mind of there own and I feel it can potentially be a safety danger. For instance, one time the locks unlocked on there own while my toddler nephew was in the car. Another time, my wife was trying to open the car door multiple times as she was parked and a stranger seemed to be after her. She tried many times to unlock the car door, but the doors would lock on their own. Thank you.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the engine failed to start after several attempts. The battery was jump started in order for the engine to operate. The failure recurred intermittently which required the battery to be recharged each time. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the battery was replaced with a new one. The failure persisted and the vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Apr 102012

My vehicle has had multiple problems over a 4 to 5 month period to start around the start my passenger side door handle broke, next my seat belt sensor shorted out, after that my air bag light came on after taking it in to the dealer I was informed I had not only faulty wiring in my vehicle but that my passenger side air bag was defective when it was installed and took four years to be caught unfortunately this all didn't occur in my first year of ownership and I couldn't claim the lemon law. Because now the company expects me to replace all of the faulty equipment they installed into a vehicle they told me was "safe and reliable" and now I'm riding in vehicle that I had someone who works for Kia tell was "slapped together and I was lucky my car hadn't fallen apart yet". after leaving the dealership the cd player in my vehicle decided that it to was going to short out and now this is another repair I'm sure ill be expected to pay for.

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Dec 232008

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Spectra. While driving 50 mph, the contact rear-ended the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt did not lock. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle has stalled at least five times since the time it was purchased. The contact feels that the vehicle is unable to be driven and wants a refund or another vehicle from Kia. The current mileage was 29,000 and failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 06/03/09 the windshield wipers worked intermittently, the rear lights were inoperative. The consumer stated the rear lights were replaced several times, because they were shortening out, . the transmission started shifting really hard and rough. The check engine light illuminated. Updated 06/04/09.

- Coal Township, PA, USA