2001 Kia Sportage fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Kia Sportage:

2001 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Feb 082013

car dies when gas gauge goes under 1/4 tank. My Kia chokes and sputters when I slow down ie. stop signs and reduced speed limit zones. When I take off from a stop or speed up the car dies-more it has run out of gas. It will start back up but the lower the gas level the less likely it is to stay running. Now I know most people would say my gas gauge is broken, however on more than one occasion I have been forced to call for a ride when this occurs...I sat with the car running for more than a half hour each time. I have no trouble keeping in running while it is using-only when I try to take off. I have had it inspected and was told the gas tank was dirty. It was cleaned out and seemed to run fine until an hour later. Then the problem returned.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

- , Kirkwood, IL, USA