2002 Kia Sportage drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Kia Sportage:

2002 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Jun 222006

Sportage 4WD 4-cyl

I started taking my 2002 Kia Sportage to the dealer and it had a clunking sound in the back. I took it in and the technician said he thought it was the muffler and it was loose so he kicked it with his foot and sent me on my way. I got a new muffler and it still made the noise so I took it to a local shop and it was the differential failure. It ended up costing me over 2500. I had to have a new differential put in and it every once in awhile makes a clunking noise when you put the transmission in gear. If the tech would have made the right decision it would have been covered by warranty.I have owned several cars in my life and never had this happen to any of them. I feel like the Kia people should reimburse me for my time and money!!!

- Hollister, MO, USA

Sep 012002

Differential failed, resulting in vehicle stalling while driving.

- Lebanon, IN, USA