3.3

2007 Kia Sportage brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sportage:

2007 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Nov 112015

Sportage

My SUV was in motion and the ABS, ESC and the diagram of the whole drive train lit up. I was backing out of my driveway when all of these lights came on at the same time.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Sep 012015

Sportage

Brake lights are not operating and the electronic stability control system malfunction light stays on. Kia has a recall SC098 (nthsa number 13V114000) for this exact problem, when I took the car to the dealer they informed me my VIN does not fall in that recall, I spoke to Kia and they informed me the same, yet my car has the identical problems described in the recall notice they have also informed me the hydraulic electronic control unit and the recall has verbiage of hydraulics. My concern is Kia states I am outside the recall window with the identical issue as stated on the recall from 2013 and expanded at least once

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jul 312013

Sportage

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Sportage. The contact stated the electronic stability control warning light continuously illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Baden, PA, USA

Jul 142012

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

Hi! I just took my 2007 Kia Sportage in for an oil change today, July 14, 2012 and initially thought that my tail lights were burnt out. The mechanic stated that my vehicle's brake lights were not working at all. After researching the internet, I found out that Kia recalled 2007 Sportage in 2009 because of external break lighting issues. I was not notified of this recall by the Kia dealer whatsoever and have driven this car for three years. I am completely beside myself that I drove a car for three years with a major safety recall. At this point, I cannot afford a new car so I do not know what to do. I guess I should consider myself lucky to be alive. I have to submit this complaint because it is not right to keep this information from consumers. It is negligent and irresponsible to sell a car to someone if it has a safety recall and not to notify or warn them about it.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 212012

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

The ESC (electronic stability control) light in my car is illuminating without depressing the button and the brake lights do not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. I have replaced the brake bulbs (all other tail lamps work...blinkers, flashers & back-up lights). I looked up on-line and found that Kia had issued a recall "exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switch" announced on 4/17/2009 for this very thing. I contacted Kia motors directly to see if they would help. The responded absolutely not, it was my problem because it is not on the recall. I would have to incur the expense. How do I know once it's fixed it won't happen again. There seems to be multiple safety concerns: 1) driving with no brake lights and being unaware; 2) the ESC malfunction causes the cruise control to fail/not shut of when you press the brake. I am concerned that peoples safety is at risk.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Jul 032008

Sportage 6-cyl

Vehicle has been to Kia dealership 3 times for ESC light staying on. First time they said it was ok, next 2 times the switch was replaced. Works for a while then malfunctions again. ESC light stays on, cruise will not work, and sometimes the brake lights will stay on. Vehicle now has 71000 miles and light is still on. After researching the web, located a recall on this similar problem, 09V130000 is the number. Called Kia customer service and they said this VIN # is not in the recall, yet its the same exact complaint as the recall. Recall said it can lead to a crash. Any help would be appreciated.

- Silver City, IA, USA

Aug 292011

Sportage

My complaint is with Kia motors America. They were required to issue a recall on the 'stop lamp switch' in 2009 for certain Kia models including my 2007 Kia Sportage. I had my vehicle serviced in June of 2009 for this issue. Since then the "warranty" expired on the part and it is now broken again (I have no functional brake lights). The dealer indicated that they must charge me the full $160 to fix it. However, there is a back order on the part, so I cannot drive my car legally for at least a week until the part comes in. This is concerning, why is the stop lamp switch continuing to fail? obviously since the part is on back order there seems to be a bigger problem - the recall seems to have failed! I contacted Kia motors directly to see if they would help. The responded absolutely not, it was my problem because it is out of warranty. I would have to incur the expense. How do I know once it's fixed it won't happen again. There seems to be multiple safety concerns: 1) driving with no brake lights and being unaware; 2) the ESC malfunction causes the cruise control to fail/not shut of when you press the brake. I am concerned that peoples safety is at risk.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

May 092010

Sportage

ESC light and brake lights don't work, on prior recall list, dealer refuses to fix.

- Cleveland , MO, USA

Jan 032009

Sportage

ABS and ESC lights came on simultaneously. Right rear wheel locked up and started squealing. Very cold weather (10 degrees) outside. Happened when I was just starting out.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA