2007 Kia Sportage electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Sportage:

2007 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Jan 032016

The contact owned a 2007 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire while parked. The fire department extinguished the fire. The fire chief informed the contact that the fire started from an electrical system. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Nov 112015

My SUV was in motion and the ABS, ESC and the diagram of the whole drive train lit up. I was backing out of my driveway when all of these lights came on at the same time.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jul 012015

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light came on and passenger air bag light was blinking on and off. I took my car to the dealership and was told that there was a material defect in the seat belt tensioner connected to the wiring harness. They said that if I were to get into an accident that my airbags may not deploy. I have the best extended warranty that you can buy and they will not cover the replacement of the wiring harness because it has to do with the safety restraint system. This is absolutely ridiculous and unsafe!!! how is this not a recall when it is a material defect and is directly related to the safety of the vehicle? I have researched online and found that many other people are having the issue of their air bag light being on and little do they know that it's linked to this whole problem. This is not an isolated issue and from what I found there are many cases of the airbags not deploying in the case of an accident which is probably due to the same material defect. Update 9/15/15 the consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 10/15/15

- Tumwater, WA, USA

May 032010

Started experiencing times when I could not shift out of park after starting the car. Notified of a recall for the brake light switch and told it effects brake lights but may also effect shifting. Part was replaced for the 2009 recall. In December of 2014 experienced the same shifting problem, mechanic said that brake light switch was the problem again. I checked Kia's website and noticed a second recall for this part from 2013, but Kia said they only honor the one recall from 2009 so I had to pay out of pocket to have this part replaced again even though the manufacturer had put out a second recall. If second recall issued and problem came back why wouldn't the manufacturer replace the part?

- Lowell, MA, USA

Mar 082015

I parked my car I went out the next day and my steering was locked, my ignition was locked and my shifter was locked.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Feb 112013

Sportage 6-cyl

When driving through a puddle of standing water, the 'splash' of water that entered the engine compartment caused the 'charging' warning light to illuminate, the engine to stall, resulting in the loss of power assist to both steering and brakes. This had never occurred in all my previous years of ownership, but has recurred multiple times since. I had vehicle serviced this week and was told this was 'normal' and related to the alternator on the vehicle being mounted 'low to the ground'. well, the alternator position has not changed, and I had driven through puddles many times over the previous six years without incident. I don't know if this is a design flaw or a dealership that simply was not able to diagnose the issue, but loss of braking and steering assist compromises safe operation.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Jan 302013

When driving in rainy weather, I will loose power steering after driving over a puddle. The battery light will come on and my power steering will go off. It comes back after a minute or so, but when it goes out, the vehicle becomes very difficult to control.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 192011

Sportage 6-cyl

Drivine on road approx speed 35 miles per hour and experienced burning smell. The temperature gauge immediately went from the middle of the gauge to hot. I pulled out of the road as soon as this happened and the steering wheel locked up. I exited the vehicle immediately as there were large billows of smoke coming from the engine. There was fire under the right front side of the vehicle. I called 911 who sent the local fire department. The car was completely in flames within 2 minutes and it took the fire department approximately 10 minutes to arrive and put out the flames. The flames were present to the back seat and the only portion of the vehicle intact was the rear of the vehicle.

- La Grange, KY, USA