2.0

2008 Kia Sportage electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Kia Sportage:

2008 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Dec 182015

Sportage

The contact owns a 2008 Kia Sportage. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and numerous warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic control unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Boston, MA, USA

Dec 112015

Sportage

Car was parked for repairs and not driven for many months other than moving around our parking area due to dashboard lights of ABS, ESC, traction control, brake lights lit. Had diagnostics done on car due to all lights on dash lighting, ABS, brake, ESC, traction control. Diagnostics via shorkey Kia showed ABS bad along with oil pan rusting due to wishing to get it road worthy and inspected. Replaced oil pan and moved car out of garage and in to parking area in front of second garage door near house. Car was parked about one hour when car ignited and caught fire. Fire originated on right front passenger side around ABS area and spread through engine and in to passenger area of car primarily on passenger side. Car a total loss, 112,000 miles on it.

- Ardara, PA, USA

Nov 152015

Sportage

Vehicle was sitting for hours in driveway. Smoke began pouring from under hood and damaged underhood accessories such as headlamp housing, ABS module, paint, windshield washer reservoir. The wiring harness was damaged, the exterior paint was blistered and now the vehicle cannot be driven. The fire apparently began in the ABS module at the right front wheel apron. Everything plastic is damaged and soot covers most of the underhood components. The vehicle has 48K miles on it and has never been in a collision.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 292014

Sportage

I parked my car at 6am went in to work at about noon my coworkers were telling me my car was smoking went outside and smoke was coming from under the hood so we popped the hood and my electrical box was smoking pretty bad a guy used a extinguisher on it to find it was still smoking so he disconnected.the battery all the wires in box are burned I only had a little over 100000 miles on it so naturally its expired.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sportage

She is 73 years old and on a fixed income. She has already paid thousands for the car and now does not have a car due to a faulty part. No car should catch on fire due to normal use. Now she is going to have to find a way to pay for another car. Hopefully that car manufacturer produces a vehicle that does not just catch fire at random and if it does, they take credit for building and selling you a vehicle with a fault that is there own. She struggled to pay thousands of dollars for a car that she took good care of to just burn up infront of her. She looked forward to finish paying the car off. Blue book is roughly $9,000 she paid more that half of it off and still owes $7,000 but now, insurance will give her the $9,000 of which she will have to pay $7,000 out to pay it off, leaving her with $2,000. What can you buy with $2,000 - nothing! so now she must start over and use the $2,000 to get back into a full car payment and struggle again for another 5 years or more. W.T.F.!"!" I see on this website, people talking about the same thing happening to them. If there is more than 1 or 2 cars that have caught on fire the same way, why isn't it looked into, and why isn't there a recall. Sure it maybe hard for Kia to replace many vehicles, however, I think it is harder for my mother of 73 to go out and buy another vehicle at $15,000 - $20,000 just because the one she trusted to be a solid vehicle was build crappy. It is Kia's design and mechanics that caused the problem, they should be held responsible. And it should be illegal for them to keep selling the vehicles to people with a problem as such.

Sportage

This is part 2 of 3... we got a new battery installed at advanced auto. Car ran fine. The next morning, she started the car and then went into the house. My niece was there and said she heard a pop and look outside to see the car on fire. The whole front end including the passenger compartment was burnt to a crisp. I believe what happened was a faulty part in the ABS (causing the light to come on) was shorting or something and that kept draining the battery. With the battery low, the battery would die before enough heat could build up, however, with the new battery, it could continue to pull power and heat up whatever faulty part was shorting out and then got hot enough to blow and cause fire. (continued in next post) 3 of 3...

Sportage

This will be 1 of 3 part statement... about a week ago (give or take a few days), a couple of my mother's 2008 Kia Sportage's dash lights came on. The ABS light, the ESC light, and I think one other (possibly the traction control light but mind you this is not my car and I am not that familiar with her dash). She was told that there was a recall for a part that was causing one of the lights to come on (I believe the ESC light). She took the car to get the part replaced, however, the lights did not go off. I have wheel hubs on my SUV crossover and I told her that when my wheel bearing/sensor starts going bad that is when my light comes on. Well a couple days later, her driver side wheel bearing started to roar, so we figured that the ABS light was on due to that. She took it back to the Kia dealership shop and they replaced the bearing and although the ride was quieter due to the new bearing replacement, the ABS light and other lights did not go off. The mechanic told her that she does not have a wheel hub with sensor and bearing in the hub but that all of her parts were separate. He said that the light may be on due the sensor may have debris from the wheel bearing going bad or possibly the sensor is going bad itself. I planned on pulling and cleaning the sensor for her in the upcoming weekend. Well before the weekend, she went shopping at the grocery store and when she came out, the vehicle would not start. The battery was dead. We call a tow truck driver who came and gave it a quick jump and said she must have left her lights on. She drove home, pulled in driveway and I told her to leave it run a bit to charge the battery back up. She did so and then after about 10 minutes, shut it off and immediately started it again to ensure the battery was charged. Later that day, it would not start again...battery dead again. (continued in next post) 2 of 3...

Jun 262013

Sportage 6-cyl

I received a safety recall notice for the stop lamp switch. I have been unable to schedule an appointment with my local Kia dealership to have the recall work done. When I first moved to the area, I was unsuccessful in scheduling routine maintenance with the same dealership. What do you recommend?

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 092013

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

I was in the car, parked in a wendys parking lot, engine off, radio on. There was a loud pop followed by smoke, a gentleman in a truck 3 spaces away heard it and saw it. We got out to look at it and the smoke was increasing, I opened the hood and you could see flames about 2 inches high around the box mounted inside the engine compartment, on the passenger side up near the headlights and over the wheel well. We shut it and waited for the fire department, everything inside the engine compartment that could melt did melt, all the paint on the hood etc, passenger door will not open or shut without noise and an extra push or pull. I am not a mechanic but I am pretty sure that the little black box was the ABS controller. Just lucky that I wasn't driving on the highway. I have seen that there are several other complaints about the same thing.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

May 092013

Sportage 6-cyl

Vehicle parked, not running, but with the radio on, there was a loud pop and smoke from under the hood. Relased lock and looked inside, small box mounted on the passenger side wall, under the hood, over the wheel well, a small square box, I think it was the ABS box was on fire. Everything that was burnable under the hood burnt before the fire department arrived.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Apr 102010

Sportage 4WD 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage at an auction. It has sustained an engine compartment fire that appears to have been caused by the wiring harness and / or ABS pump. This is the LX model with 2.7 V6 automatic 4WD. I just saw another Sportage 2010 model that had a fire in the same ABS pump area at an auction. Thought you might be interested as there seems to be a problem..

- Brownsville, PA, USA

Dec 152008

Sportage

The contact owns a 2008 Kia Sportage. The contact has experienced several failures with the vehicle ever since its date of purchase. While driving 30 mph, the instrument panel gauges illuminated and began to fail. Soon after, the vehicle failed completely; however, the contact was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to her destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the electronic steering control module failed. The vehicle was repaired. Two months later, the contact noticed a noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was then taken to a local repair shop and it was determined that the two front strut bolts were loose from the spindle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed to take the vehicle to the dealer for further inspection. The failure mileage was 900 and current mileage was 4,230.

- Farmington, NY, USA