2.9

2009 Kia Sportage brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Sportage:

2009 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Jun 152016

Sportage

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Sportage. While driving 40 mph, the ESC indicator illuminated and the brakes engaged without the brake pedal being depressed. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent and occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic control unit failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Richmond, RI, USA

Feb 162015

Sportage 4-cyl

I was getting my oil changed at valvoline oil change in liverpool, NY. During the routine light check, the tech said that my brake lights weren't coming on when I brake, only the top brake light strip in rear middle. I had seen the "ESC off" light come on without any reason in the last few weeks. I also noticed that when getting on an interstate highway, my cruise control would turn on, but not set/engage. I researched online for these symptoms, and found there was a recall of Kia Sportages both in 2009 and in 2013 for a stop lamp switch causing the exact same symptoms. The NHTSA campaign was #13V114000. In calling the burdick Kia to get this replaced because of the recall, the service manager told me that the switch was replaced on August 2013, in compliance with the recall. Because of this, I can't get the switch replaced for free. I am just letting you know that there is still an issue with this condition, even with the 2013 recall and replacement.

- Clay, NY, USA

Aug 212014

Sportage

Cpsc: I1480398A. 2009 Kia Sportage. Consumer stated that the front brakes were with replaced with less than 80,000. It was reported that salt corrodes the grease on the calipers locking them up.

- Holt, MI, USA

May 062013

Sportage 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that the ESC off switch illuminated as the brake lights failed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the stop lamp switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number : 13V114000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 25,848.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Mar 012009

Sportage

I was driving 30 mph and the road started to slope downwards, so I started to brake to slow down. The car did not stop. Brakes made a grinding noise but did not stop the vehicle. I drove straight into the intersection.

- Rye Brook, NY, USA