3.2

2009 Kia Sportage engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Sportage:

2009 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Jun 242016

Sportage

I was driving down a busy road about 50mph when the ESC light came on and the car engine started losing power. I pulled over, afraid to drive but then proceeded as I was only a few minutes from home. I made it home ok and consulted my manual as to what that light meant. I pushed it in (so that it was now "on" because the light said "off" and it drove ok for about a day. Then with no light coming back on, the engine just started reving up really hard and loud..like it was stuck in neutral and it started to lose power. I barely made it home safely and noe I'm afraid to drive it. It just came out of nowhere...totally random. I have an appt to bring it in to Kia service center mon. Morning and am currently driving a rental car. It was a very scarey event because both time it gave no warning at all!!

- Wellington, FL, USA

Jul 042009

Sportage

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Sportage. The contact stated that while driving into a parking space the vehicle lunged forward. He stated that the accelerator pedal became so sensitive that he had to use extreme caution when driving forward, backwards or when the road was slightly slanted. He took the vehicle to a Kia dealer who informed the contact that the vehicle was designed that way. A diagnostic test was performed; however, it did not determine what caused the failure to occur. The failure mileage was approximately 30. The current mileage was approximately 1,900.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA