2009 Kia Sportage miscellaneous NHTSA complaints: Unknown Or Other

NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2.5

2009 Kia Sportage miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Sportage:

2009 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Oct 242016

Sportage

2009 Kia Sportage LX complaint. We have recently been experiencing intermittent acceleration surging. The occurrences are random; hot or cold in D-gear at a stop-light or in park position. I¿ve taken the car to the Kia dealer two times. On the second time, I was told that after a test-drive on the second day, the mechanic did notice the surging of the tachometer and the ¿fix¿ was to re-route/loosen the cruise control cable. Two days later, the engine surging re-appeared. This is a dangerous safety concern that can result in injury to pedestrians, and other drivers. When the engine surge/racing occurs the tachometer goes up and down from under 1,000 to 5,000 RPM's. it has happened with my foot on the brake and while in park and in gear. During the latest event, we have a video taken with our I-phone showing the tachometer going up and down in the ¿park¿ position. We are scared to drive this car because this safety defect can cause bodily danger as it lunges forward due to engine racing. I¿ve also posted this safety defect on ¿carcomplaints.com¿ to warn others. Goggling this issue on yahoo.com reveals others having similar problems. Can we get some help on this?

- Glenview, IL, USA

Aug 212016

Sportage

While driving down a highway at 60 mph on a sunny, windy day the hood flew open and smashed against the front of the car's roof. That shattered the plastic eyeglass holder on the roof interior and dented/mangled the hood. The hood latch is supposed to be a failsafe redundant mechanism that should never, under any condition, allow this to happen. There is a recall on the sorento's related to the malfunction of a defective hood latch design due to binding from corrosion in states that use winter road salt such as pa. This is a pa vehicle. Fortunately, no other vehicle was struck and the driver maintained sufficient control to safely stop.

- Mcmurray, PA, USA

Feb 262010

Sportage

I bought a new Kia Sportage & it has been in the shop 25 days in March, 22 days in April of 2010. The car dies as you are driving & when it begins to go it hops & does not want to go. I have has this car in the shop 6 times since the end of Feb. 2010.

- Winchester, VA, USA