1.8

2013 Kia Sportage drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Sportage:

2013 Kia Sportage Owner Comments

Sep 082015

Sportage

I was pulling into a parking spot to park and my shifter would not go to park position. I tried to press in the button the side of the shifter to put it into park but it wouldn't press in as it normally does to change the gears. The only position it would go into was neutral or park and I was in a school parking lot where I needed to reverse to get back out of the space. I put it into nuetral which was the only option and was able to turn off the car but my key would not come out of the ignition in the neutral position. I had to leave the key in the ignition in nuetral turned off. I put my emergency break on hoping that would be enough to keep the car from moving. I was able to get a screwdriver from my childs school to release the lock switch on the shifter so that it would allow me to reverse the car out of the space but when I got home and put it in park, the shifter button was still stuck "pressed in" and would not allow me to take the key out of the ignition. I park on a hill so I had to use the emergency break with key still stuck in the ignition again to hopefully keep the car from rolling backwards into the street. My car is only 2 years old and acquired a lot of miles from moving from northern part of the U.S to southern part of the U.S and because of this move caused my mileage to go over the 60,000 mile standard warranty. I do have the powertrain warranty coverage up to 100,000 miles but the dealer is saying this isn't covered under the powertrain warranty.

- Zachary, LA, USA