1998 Land Rover Discovery steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Land Rover Discovery:

1998 Land Rover Discovery Owner Comments

Dec 092013

Discovery 8-cyl

I began to back out of a parking space. As my car cleared the parking space, I was turning my steering wheel as I backed out, I heard a click at the steering wheel and suddenly had no steering whatsoever. My steering wheel just spins free, easily, and the steering wheel no longer controls the front tires. It appears that a splined shaft coming out of the steering box is stripped. I had to have my car towed home as it is impossible to drive it without any steering control. Having just recovered from stage 4 cancer last year and working only 1/2 time (20 hours/week), I haven't got the money to pay a mechanic to fix it right now.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Apr 102010

Our Land Rover Discovery lost steering and brake control while on highway 99 nb South of the toulumne rd exit. We were traveling at low highway speed (50-60mph) when we noticed the vehicle to begin swerving left and right causing the body to pitch dramatically with no response from steering, when the brakes were applied they were unresponsive. The directional occasional increased while we traveled approx another 500 yards before we hit the edge embankment and rolled over. Engine continued to run in the overturned position.

- Patterson, CA, USA