NHTSA — Fuel System, Other: Storage: Tank Assembly Problems

2003 Land Rover Discovery II fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Land Rover Discovery II:

2003 Land Rover Discovery II Owner Comments

Mar 252006

Discovery II 4WD 8-cyl

On March 25, 2006 my family was on I-75 in our 2003 discovery SE. We were in a construction zone and a person several cars ahead made a sudden lane change cutting off a driver ahead of in our lane. He brakes suddenly. The truck following struck him. I was already slowing down due to the heavy traffic. However, I struck the truck. It was not a heavy collision and the air bags did not deploy. Almost immediately, I was struck from behind by an 18 wheeler. Upon impact, my discovery burst into flames in the back. The impact again drove my vehicle in to the truck ahead. This time it was a very heavy impact (the hood crumpled and the windshield shattered) but the airbags did not deploy. We just barely got out (I had 2nd degree burns to side of face and hand) I am concerned that 1.) the air bags did not deploy at least the second time and 2.) the vehicle burst into flames on impact.

- Gainesville, FL, USA