2003 Land Rover Discovery II miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Land Rover Discovery II:

2003 Land Rover Discovery II Owner Comments

Jan 282007

Discovery II 4WD 6-cyl

We bought a new 2003 Land Rover Discovery II from Land Rover of milford, ct in 12/03. We have changed the oil faithfully every 3,000 miles and had the necessary services done and were at 44,724 miles. We were driving home from vt a month ago and the oil light went on. I immediately stopped and checked the oil, which was full. I turned on the car and the engine immediately started making a strange sound. I called Land Rover roadside assistance and our warranty had expired 28 days prior to this. We had it flat bedded home to Connecticut immediately. Then we had it flat bedded to the dealership. The oil pump had blown and the engine had seized. At first they said they would not pay for it as it was no longer under warranty. I did extensive research on the internet regarding this problem and found out there was a problem with the oil pumps on the 03 discovery models and in fact there was a technical recall for that year. When we asked the service manager about that, he said that if it was a faulty oil pump it would have blown by 20,000 miles and not gone to 44,000 miles. We sent them documentation of all the services we have had done on the car and they agreed to pay for half of the cost of the engine. We still don't have a car, as they have still not received an engine. (and they did not offer us a loaner car for the interim). Now today I was doing further research and found on the edmunds website 3 other 03 discovery it's with 40,000, 57,000 and 60,000 miles on the engines that had the exact same thing happen. So obviously it is a manufacturing defect if it is happening to so many cars. And that is just the ones we know about on the edmunds website forum.

- Southport, CT, USA

Jan 162003

Discovery II 4WD 8-cyl

In August 2003 I purchased a 2003 Land Rover discovery at barret Jaguar-Land Rover in mcallen, tx. Shortly after I purchased this vehicle I began to have problems with the vehicle. The vehicle has less than 12K miles and has been in the service shop on 4 different occasions. January 16, 2003 I discussed my dissatisfaction with the dealership manager joel garcia, as a result of the lack of concern I seek help to resolve my problems. I feel I struggled to get a brand new vehicle of my dreams in order to avoid problems, however I feel spending 40K for a problematic vehicle is unjustly. I request any kind of help getting this resolved since the dealership manager basically implied that a favor was done in order for me to finance this vehicle(this is why I had to sign blank contracts and never given copies of this sale) which I have requested with no answer.

- Lyford, TX, USA