2.4

2008 Land Rover LR2 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Land Rover LR2:

2008 Land Rover LR2 Owner Comments

May 152012

LR2

I own a Land Rover LR2 2008, and it started making a humming noise from the back end starting around 50,000 miles. The noise has progressively gotten louder. After changing tires, differential fluids, and bringing it to a mechanic (independent), the problem was diagnosed as a faulty differential system. Online research confirms this problem as common among this make model and year. Land Rover North America has not issued any recalls for the faulty differential system and is not correlated to any fault of the owner/driver. The humming noise is loudest when accelerating or cruising. The sound softens when de-accelerating or when turning to the "right". continued use of a faulty rear differential will result in the gears locking up and possibly leading to an accident. Faulty differentials are not the result of driving patterns nor maintenance neglect. Current rates to fix rear differentials on this make and model are between $3K and $5K and Land Rover North America does not offer any financial assistance. Online research indicates this problem is a pattern and a trend and Land Rover should issue an official recall.

- Seeley Lake, MT, USA

Jan 012014

LR2

With 20,000 miles and 4 years and not under warrante took the car to the dealer and reported a loud noise, after 2 days at the shop they told me in miami that the car was fine, I requested the service man to drive with me and showed him the rear noise was not normal, he agree then he quoted me over $3,000 to repair the rear transmission, after twitting to Land Rover and filling a complaint they cal the dealer and agree to do the repair, then the dealer only replace a gear for $300 instead of the work they have quoted; somebody should get an attorney and request a class action to replace the rear transmission.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 302015

LR2

I have been hearing a loud whirring noise coming from the back wheels and kept on getting louder. I took it in to auto repair and it is the rear differential that has gone out. After searching online I found that this is a common problem with 2008 LR2, and shoud be on recall!

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jul 042015

LR2 6-cyl

Rear differential failure, a slight moaning noise from the rear end progressed into grinding, rendering the car unsafe to drive. This issue is not uncommon and many Land Rover LR2 owners have experienced this from 45K-60 miles. I went to local place to see how much it will cost, they want 3.276,00. Its too much money and I drive kids all the time, and I am afraid soon I will have big problems or accident. Please help me to fix this problem, Land Rover should fix this without charge. Thank you so much!! view details

- Florham Park, NJ, USA

Mar 192015

LR2

Quoted by dealership that rear differential need to be replaced for ~$2200. Research has shown my there are hundreds of complaints about the same issues on many Land Rover LR2/3 models. I would like to advocate for a recall, as every time Land Rover fixes this known defective part, they make a big profit. Otherwise, a class action lawsuit will be initiated against Land Rover.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 042015

LR2 6-cyl

I own a 2008 LR2 and just received confirmation from the local dealer service department that the rear differential has failed and is the source of the widely reported low pitched rear hum. This noise from the rear of the vehicle started around 66,000 miles (current mileage 74,600). I was not aware at the time of the rear differential issue with these cars, and given that the set of tires on the car were due to be changed I attributed the noise to the tire tread wear. I opted to run the existing tires through the winter and stretch the mileage as much as possible. The noise continued to get worse, but again, attributed that to the tire tread. I subsequently started some research into other causes over the past couple weeks and found many, many reports of differential failures on these cars. I replaced the tires hoping that was the root cause. It was not, so the appointment at the dealer was scheduled and they confirmed that the rear diff is defective. The quoted price for the repair żż 5 ½ hrs + parts, $3,000+. fortunately I had the defect diagnosed before a catastrophic failure that could have potentially resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle and/or injury to passengers. As I have subsequently discovered as I was giving approval to order the new differential, the part has been re-designed six times. This fact essentially confirms that Land Rover has recognized the design flaws, but is not doing anything to resolve the problem with owners.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 012014

Rear differential noise.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 012014

LR2

Like others, our LR2 began to develop a whining sound from the rear around 85,000 mi (now at 88,000 soccer mom miles - never off road or abused). This car is a money pit. Ac went out at 80,000 ($2,000 repair), hood latch causing false alarms ($300), constantly needs brakes and rotors (every 25 to 30K miles), sunroof went (but apparently we just missed the VIN for the recall)($3,000), and now $4,000 for rear differential work. Land Rover which has issued a service bulletin on the differential, should do the right thing and issue a recall and repair this.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 032014

LR2 6-cyl

This is an addendum to ODI# 10604656 humming/grinding from rear of vehicle. Spoke to the Land Rover usa representative today and they offered $500 toward the total repair of $3642. Said representative indicated there is no other recourse other than contacting the better business bureau. Basically, I was told to go pound sand due to the vehicle being out of warranty and I am first-time owner. Hence, I haven't provided enough business to Land Rover to qualify for greater monetary assistance. Land Rover is essentially benefiting from the costly repair of these defective vehicles that they sold to their customers. These drivetrain issues are clearly caused due to defective parts and/or improper drivetrain design and the NHTSA really needs to support consumers in guiding the manufacturer to initiate a recall, etc.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Jun 032014

LR2 6-cyl

Service call initiated due to humming/grinding from rear of the vehicle for which the pitch changes with the speed of the vehicle. Land Rover dealer indicates that the coupling assembly needs to be replaced at a cost of $3642. I have been informed that this is a common problem, including involvement of the pinion bearing/rear diff with years 08-12. Research reveals that this is, in fact, quite common throughout the early years of the LR2 production line often with less mileage with service bulletins in place. Said vehicle has been meticulously cared for and maintained. These are costly repairs with the burden of such placed on unsuspecting Land Rover owners. Land Rover should stand by their workmanship and support their customers in these repairs before more serious events occur.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Mar 122014

LR2 6-cyl

Noticed a humming sound coming from the rear of my Land Rover LR2. So I took it into a local shop and ask them to look at it. I then took the information that they provided me and called the nearest Land Rover dealer about 100 miles away. They said that it sounded like the pinion gears, that it was a "known problem" and "very common" they explained that they have a way to fix the issue and that it would be around $1,000 they also discouraged me from having my local shop work on it. So at this point I'm going to call the Land Rover dealer and setup an appointment. The local shop suggested that I fill out a complaint. Now that I look at the database it seems like a lot of people are having this same issue.

- Burlington , IA, USA

Oct 042013

LR2

My 2008 Land Rover LR2 has suffered 2 different driveline failures within a couple months of each other at approximately 84,000 miles. First, the pinion bearing in the rear differential failed causing the dealer to replace the whole differential as this is a sealed unit. Shortly after this, a driveshaft bearing failed as well requiring a new driveshaft since lr does not sell the bearing individually only whole assemblies. Both repairs were diagnosed and repaired by the local Land Rover dealer at considerable cost of approx $4500. This vehicle was purchased new and has had all regular services performed by the dealer. For a vehicle of this supposed quality to suffer two such failures below 100,000 miles as most manufacturers warranty such components is unacceptable. Online lr forums indicate that this rear differential failure is quite common and often occurs at even lower mileages than mine did; sometimes even within the warranty period for some "lucky" people. The fact that these failures to such a major component are occurring at low mileages indicate a faulty design and Land Rover should initiate a recall on the rear differential.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Dec 182013

LR2

Rear differential failure. Grinding noise, pinion and carrier bearings replaced.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 122012

LR2 6-cyl

I bought my Land Rover LR2 hse brand new from a dealer in NJ on May 31, 2008. In mid 2012, at 45K miles right after my warranty expired, I started to hear a disturbing howling or humming noise from the rear which is getting much louder at highway speeds. It got worse after driving another 2K miles, so I took it to the dealership in April 2013. I was told that the rear differential (rdiff) needs to be replaced which was the cause for the noise. I was given an estimate for the replacement of a rebuilt (not a brand new one) for $2321. This car has an almost unused rear seat and has never been off-road and 80% off the mileage has been on the highway. I called the Land Rover North America in may to open a case and asked them to pay for the cost of the repair since I found this problem extremely premature for a high end SUV. They don't explicitly admit 2008 Lr2S have faulty rdiffs but they agreed to pay only $500 towards the replacement. I am afraid this problem might get worse and treacherous to drive and strongly believe that Land Rover North America should make a recall for this problem and be held responsible for the whole cost of replacement with a brand new (instead of a rebuilt) one. I also found out on the internet that is a common problem for 2008 Lr2S. www.landroversonly.com/forums/F11/LR2-rear-differential-failure-41070/.

- South Bound Brook, NJ, USA

Dec 172012

LR2

Began hearing a very loud humming sound from the rear so I took it to a mechanic and found the rear differential needed to be changed. I began to do some research and found this to be a widespread problem amongst all 2008 Land Rover Lr2S once the LR2 reaches around 60K to 80K. This is really unacceptable of Land Rover to not take responsibility for this issue as it is a very big safety concern.

- Cheltenham, PA, USA

Mar 012011

LR2

Over one year ago I began noticing a high pitched whining noise coming from rear end of vehicle during starting and stopping while transmission is in first gear. Researched the issue on internet forums and discovered numerous reports of rear differential problems. Finally paid to have lr dealership look at issue on 15 Dec 2012 and they determined problem is indeed rear diff. I opted to attempt a rebuild through them, and they replaced the pinion bearing and serviced other parts and fluids. Upon a road test the noise still persisted and the service advisor advised me that there could be a problem with the gears that could eventually lead to a lock-up of the rear differential, recommending a complete replacement of the unit. Aside from the exorbitant compounding costs to rebuild and now replace the unit, this sounds like a potential serious safety issue to me and lr appears to be taking no responsibility.

- Edwards, CA, USA

Nov 272012

LR2

The contact owns a 2008 Land Rover LR2. The contact stated that the driver of the vehicle was traveling 30 mph when she heard a hollow noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where they advised her that the rear differential needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Chepachet, RI, USA

Jul 192012

LR2

While driving, at any speed, I experienced a loud humming noise from the rear of the car. I brought the vehicle to a repair facility and was told the rear differential is defective. Doing some research on the topic, found that there are many cases of the rear differential failing before the recommended service time of 10 years/100,000 miles. It appears Land Rover is aware of the problem and has commented on replacing the defective unit with a new designed rear differential. A call to Land Rover corporate regarding a recall was negative, and non committal to a solution other than out of pocket expense of $2500 to me. I feel that this is a major safety issue as this component is part of the drive train.

- Durham, CT, USA

Jun 012012

LR2 6-cyl

Respectfully request to recall the rear differential of a Land Rover 2008 LR2 hse. A moaning noise is heard from the rear and it gets louder as the speed goes up. Reading through the lr owners of this same vehicle from us and uk and it is not fair that the consumers cough up over $2,500 to $5,000 for this repair. Land Rover of America should have known that they put in a faulty rear differential on the 2008 LR2 right just as the warranty expired. The cost of repair is pretty hefty and the vehicle is still drivable eventhough the rear differential is broken. Should we wait until an accident happens on the highway before they recall the rear differential? please initiate recall investigation. Thank you.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Apr 242007

LR2

2008 Land Rover LR2 has a problem with overheating and non acceleration. The consumer stated the vehicle began knocking slightly after starting it. After driving a few feet, it would not accelerate. The reduced engine performance light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a day later, the dealer informed the consumer that the fuel line was faulty. Four days later, the vehicle stopped accelerating and it felt as though the vehicle was in neutral. The consumer looked down and the dynamic stability control light had illuminated. When the third incident occurred, the consumer pulled over, but the vehicle would not shut off. The reduced engine light illuminated again and then the battery light illuminated. The steering wheel then locked.

- Pearl City, HI, USA