2.8

2009 Land Rover LR2 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Land Rover LR2:

2009 Land Rover LR2 Owner Comments

Jul 062012

LR2

Rear differential - noticed that the vehicle had started to make humming noise and it seems the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle. Land Rover shop checked and said the noise is coming from the tires. Replaced all 4 tires ($1500) and still the noise remained. Got it checked from two other Land Rover shops and both reached the same conclusion - rear differential / bearing failure!! my LR2 has never gone off-road. I called the Land Rover dealer and he quoted $8900 to replace the entire unit!! unbelievable!! online research shows this is a very common problem LR2 owners are facing. Land Rover must put a recall and fix this immediately to retain their reputation!!

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 172015

LR2

I have 2009 LR2 with 93K miles on it. I got 130 multi point inspection by the Honda dealer where I bought the car for the humming noise coming from the back. They gave me clean sheet with just 1 tire replacement needed. 1 week later I got the car checked by the Land Rover dealership and was told its my rear differential which will cost North of $3K. I researched and come to know that there many people out there with this large cost problem with Land Rover... why hasn't this been a part of recall"?" I don't have $3K+ sitting around to address the problem. Please assist. Thank you

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jul 202015

LR2

Noticed that the vehicle had started to make humming noise and it seems the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle. Land Rover shop checked and said the noise is coming from the tires. Replaced all 4 tires ($1000) and still the noise remained. Got it checked from two other Land Rover shops and both reached the same conclusion - read differential / bearing failure!! my LR2 has never gone off-road and the rear seats have been sparingly used. Called the Land Rover dealer and he quoted $8900 to replace the entire unit!! unbelievable!! online research shows this is a very common problem LR2 owners are facing. Land Rover must put a recall and fix this immediately to retain their reputation!!

- Springfield, VA, USA

Feb 022015

LR2

Our LR2 has a failing rear differential which appears to be a common occurrence with Lr2S. Danger of rear differential breaking/seizing and causing an accident. At present our drive train has a very loud and noticeable humming sound.

- Cary, NC, USA

Feb 252015

LR2

The LR2 was driven by our daughter for several years, primarily highway mileage to and from college. In early 2015 the rover began to make a whining noise from the rear axle. Over the course of two or three weeks the noise became progressively worse. After scheduling an appointment, Land Rover indicated that we had a damaged rear differential that would need to be replaced for approximately $2500. I've owned a fair number of vehicles and do know a number of auto mechanics. No one seems to have ever heard of rear differential failing at approximately 50K miles. I pressed the service manager for an answer and he referred me to the main headquarters of Land Rover. They refused replacement under warranty and failed to provide adequate compensation for the repair. Once again pressing the service manager, the option to repair and not fully replace the differential was offered with a 10% dealer discount. It is apparent from google searches that this rear differential design flaw is well known to Land Rover and could have been prevented through increased maintenance. It is now a money maker for Land Rover on their lower end vehicles.

- River Vale, NJ, USA

Apr 202013

Rear differential failure.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Mar 112015

LR2 6-cyl

My 2009 Land Rover LR2, has sounded very loud while driving on the highway. I thought it may have just been a tire issue that they were old and needed rotated or replaced. While my car was in the shop for an alarm system repair the dealership did a multipoint inspection. They said nothing was leaking or immediately wrong but I should get it back in for a more thorough inspection. I did and found my rear differential needs replaced. From researching I have found this his been a widespread and known issue dating back to the 2008 model.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Sep 022014

LR2

Rear differential went at 47K miles! started hearing a humming noise on acceleration that progressively got worse over the next month. I researched the problem online, finding out that many people were experiencing the same thing around 50K miles and that it was the rear differential. I called Land Rover explaining the problem, but because I was no longer under warranty, I would be responsible for the entire cost. But before they could do anything, I needed to bring the car in and pay $125 so they could put the car on the lift and confirm it was in fact the rear differential. If it was the rear differential it would cost around $2500-3000! I explained that this issue is well documented on the internet, in multiple Land Rover forums and for a majority of people it is happening just after the warranty expires. They said there was noting they could do about it, the part has not been recalled. I ended up taking the car to a local mechanic, who confirmed the problem (for free!) and charged me $1800. He got the part from Land Rover, it cost 1250 and additional 100 for the fluid/oil that was needed, otherwise the 1 year warranty would be voided. Land Rover you should be ashamed of yourself! the rear differential should not go on a 5 year old vehicle with only 47K miles! I only drive locally to and from work, and have never driven the vehicle off road! this should be covered.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Sep 042014

LR2 6-cyl

At approximately 64000 miles my 2009 Land Rover LR2 rear differential failed. I noticed a loud, high pitched, humming sound while traveling at high speeds. This sound progressively got worse. It is so loud now that you cannot talk at a normal level while the car is moving. Land Rover diagnosed this issue and confirmed the problem. There is a technical bulletin that lr has distributed to address this issue. They are aware of it and are not offering customers any compensation. This problem is pervasive throughout this model year and 2008 Lr2S - Land Rover should be taking responsibility for the issue, recalling those cars affected, and protecting their drivers.

- Suffern, NY, USA

Dec 282013

LR2 6-cyl

I began hearing a loud humming noise on a 2009 Land Rover LR2 that was coming from the back of the vehicle while driving. The pitch is low at lower speeds and the pitch gets higher as the speed increases. I took the vehicle into the dealership to find that the rear differential pinion bearing/gear was worn and flopping. The suggested repairs were at least a rear differential rebuild but may need an entire unit if damaged beyond rebuilding. A rebuild was estimated to cost $1600 and a total unit replacement was quoted at $2600. The dealership indicated the vehicle was unsafe to drive and that the driveshaft may break off at anytime. My research with this vehicle indicates this is a common problem that will eventually happen in all vehicles between 2008 and 2012. There is even a service bulletin circulating through Land Rover dealerships to notify service departments of the problem and the parts required to perform the repair. I'm concerned that a vehicle with so few miles could have a common catastrophic failure across many model years. This is clearly a safety issue that could endanger other drivers on the road and the occupant of this vehicle. Land Rover is clearly aware of the problem with the circulation of the service bulletin but not recalling and repairing. I'm disappointed with the ethical decisions this company is making.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 172013

LR2 6-cyl

My vehicle started making a loud noise (grinding when in reverse and humming when going forward). I have had the problem checked by 4 separate mechanics and they all told me it is a pinion bearing in the rear differential. After speaking with the local Land Rover dealership and reading several Land Rover forums on the internet, this problem seems to be very common. Of course, my warranty expired about 2 months ago and the cost to replace the rear differential is very expensive (about $3,800). Since this is a common problem, it seems like there should be a recall on this issue.

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Feb 012013

LR2

Faulty pinion bearing in drive train- replaced under warranty.

- Eatons Neck, NY, USA