2003 Land Rover Range Rover drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Land Rover Range Rover:

2003 Land Rover Range Rover Owner Comments

Jun 092016

Range Rover

The contact owns a 2003 Land Rover Range rover. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, there was an abnormal grinding sound from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle also was making a jerking motion and the transfer case warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was experiencing the failure in NHTSA campaign number: 08V635000 (power train) and the drive shaft and spline needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 152009

Range Rover

I was driving my 2003 Range rover that I just bought used 2 weeks earlier. As I was driving, the car started making severe grinding noises and lost power. I could not steer that well and was in the middle of the road. I managed to get barely enough power to make it to the side of the road and pull into a parking lot. This event was without any warning and the car made the worst grinding noises in the world. I had it towed to a local repair shop and they informed me that this vehicle has a recall on it to address the problem, which is a failed driveshaft / axle / differential operation. Because it was recalled, I had it towed to Land Rover and they are now saying that they can't fix the problem until the axle is repaired, which they say is not part of the recall. I believe it is part of the recall and they should be covering this at no cost. I had my child in the car and I think this could have been a very dangerous situation. Also, when I bought the vehicle in costa mesa, ca (house of luxuries), they assured me the car was totally checked out and had no mechanical or other issues. Now I am very angry with them for placing my life (and others) and my child's life in danger by not disclosing these problems, or at least telling me that this vehicle has a recall and to repair it before I drive. I am happy that I was told about the recall later but feel that the business I bought the car should have known this prior to the sell of the car and it could have placed our lives and others at risk had I been going down the freeway, which is in la and heavy traffic. Thank you.

- Calabasas, CA, USA

Aug 082008

Range Rover

Complete front drive shaft failure - sudden, without any warning, while driving. 2003 Range rover hse.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Jun 072008

Range Rover

The contact owns a 2003 Land Rover Range rover. While driving 55 mph, the contact heard a loud grinding noise. When he depressed the accelerator pedal, the noise recurred. The sound occurred when the vehicle was shifted into any gear. The contact pulled over and the transmission failure light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the front differential was stripped out. The current and failure mileages were 68,000.

- Raytown, MO, USA