1.8

1998 Lexus ES 300 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Lexus ES 300:

1998 Lexus ES 300 Owner Comments

Oct 152003

ES 300 6-cyl

I have a 1998 Lexus ES300. The driver's heated seat stopped working. Balise Lexus, of West springfield, MA, explained there was a broken wire in heating grid and wanted to charge me $500, for parts and labor. My mechanic disassembled the seat and found the wire had frayed and shorted out when it started on fire. It had burnt part of the heating grid, the foam it was attached to and the inside of the leather upholstery. I showed this heating grid to the Lexus dealer, who replied, " the heating grids are only good for 3-5 years." I would think that a fuse would short out, or a light on the dash would alert you to a malfunction. I definetely wouldn't expect a fire. This could have caused serious damage and even severe bodily injury. In the meantime, I have ordered the replacement heating grid for $204.80. I feel this is a manufacturer's defect and should be reinbursed and a sefety feature of some sort should be installed in future models. What can I do? thank you for any advise.

- Palmer, MA, USA