1998 Lexus ES 300 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Lexus ES 300:

1998 Lexus ES 300 Owner Comments

Jan 152012

ES 300 6-cyl

The day before the accident happened all the tail light were off and I found the fuse for tail light was blew. So I replaced the fuse. Next day, when I turned on headlight while driving on highway 680, the "R" indicator on the dashboard became on as well -- now both "D" and "R" were on. It puzzled me for awhile so I decided to turn off the headlight. As soon as the headlight was turned off, the car "hesitated" on freeway. I took the car to dealer for service who claimed they have never seen this before. After 3 days of services, they said some wires were crossed and charged $581 for replacing those faulty wires and one controller. The car is only 13 year old and about 100 K miles. I would definitely classify this accident as a defect by manufacture. I want to file this compliant to see any other ES300 owners have experienced such problem.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Jan 072010

ES 300

Headlights turn off by themselves intermittently while driving. This also occurs intermittently when you use the directional signals to signal for a right or left turn. This electrical failure makes this car unsafe to drive at night at any speed. Driving at night without headlights on could result in an accident with bodily injury or death to the occupants of this vehicle or other vehicles and/or property damage. The jm Lexus' service department diagnosed this problem as a defective wiper switch assembly.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Jan 222004

ES 300 6-cyl

Electricity discharges from ignition key area on steering column and door after turning off and exiting vehicle. I took car in to superior Lexus to determine the problem and they could not figure it out. I continue to get electrical shocks from my 1998 Lexus ES300 today.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA