6.0

1999 Lexus ES 300 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Lexus ES 300:

1999 Lexus ES 300 Owner Comments

Sep 012015

ES 300

My only issue, outside of what my complaint is, is that with Lexus models (that I know of), once the check engine light appears, Traction is automatically off and stays off.

As far as the problem, my mechanic thought it was the Knock Sensor. We replaced the knock sensors (which were new), the connector and the intake gasket. Drove the car around and the issue is still persisting (not to mention the P code still appearing for the knock sensor).

What happens is after driving for more then 15 minutes, every time the car shifts a gear up or down, the car stalls, as if my feet aren't on the pedal and the car slows down. After about a few seconds (between 2-30), it jerks back into gear (everyone within the car can feel it). Sometimes as this issue is happening, in idle, the car shakes heavily, which obviously isn't normal for a Lexus. I've gotten other codes, that I plan to get fixed within the next few weeks, but for the most part, myself, my mechanic and his boss think it may be the Transmission and not the other issues that are causing this.

Trying to figure out if replacing the transmission will fix the issue because I prefer to keep this car for another 7-10 years (or trade in to get an LS400 pre-1999).

- , west roxbury, MA, USA