6.4

2002 Lexus ES 300 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Lexus ES 300:

2002 Lexus ES 300 Owner Comments

Mar 042006

ES 300 6-cyl

The plastic key to my 2002 Lexus ES300 cracked due to faulty product design and the microchip that controls the car fell out. I did not know this had happened and was unable to start the car. I was stranded in a rain storm and had to call Lexus for help. Subsequently I used an emergency key which was in my purse. Even though the break occurred because of faulty design, I had to order and pay for a new key ($206) because my car was beyond warranty. I was told by the Lexus service department that these keys break "more often than we would like ".clearly, the design of the key is the problem. When the car key breaks the car is inoperable unless you have another key with you. The dealer has to order a new key and cannot start your car for you. This is a danger to consumers and owners of these cars. I was never advised that the key could crack and break due to normal use or that the car would be inoperable if the chip fell out. I complained to Lexus using their customer service on-line web site. Someone from a local dealership called me and was indifferent to the problem. I did not ask for my money back for the new key but stressed this is a safety issue. Luckily I was able to resolve my dilemma without injury but others may not be so lucky. When you pay $40,000 for a car you expect the key to hold up to normal use. I believe that all owners of Lexus products with this style key should be notified that this breakage may occur and be issued new unbreakable keys.additionally, from what the service department told me Lexus knows this is a problem and should have issued a warning and a recall.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Mar 192003

ES 300

The vehicle intermittently experienced a hesitation when accelerating, the dealership was unable to duplicate the problem.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Oct 022002

ES 300

I cannot read the red dial on the speedometer. During daylight hours, it fades away even though the panel lights are turned all the way up. I keep up with the traffic, not knowing how fast (or slow) I am going. This only happens during daylight hours, not nighttime. I spoke to Lexus customer service (Ms. Yvonne childs, 800 255 3987) and to ray catena Lexus about this problem. Nobody called me back. This is a dangerous situation and I would like it to be corrected.

- Monroe Twp., NJ, USA

Oct 012002

ES 300

The consumer states that he cannot view the instrument panel during the daytime. The mfr advised the consumer that the panel is designed that way. The consumer states that the white numbers on the instruments were okay, but it is extremely difficult to see the red needle during the day light (unless your in the shade/or in the evening). The consumer states that he is unable to tell the speed of travel, whether the engine is overheating, and/or the amount of fuel left. Also the multi-information displays and the odometer readings are barely visible during the daylight hours. The consumer states that he receives a standard answer that the instrument panel is working as designed.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Sep 142002

ES 300

When driving during daylight hours we cannot see the red dial on the speedometer even though the instrument panel light control is turned fully up. We never know how fast we are going. We just try to keep up with the traffic. We spoke to yvonne childs at Lexus customer service (800 255 3987) who would look into it, but never got back to us. I spoke to another service person, and he said he has heard of this problem. This is definitely a major safety factor that must be addressed and corrected. Nlm

- M, NJ, USA

Sep 142002

- M, NJ, USA

Dec 202001

ES 300

Indicator needle on instrument panel are not visible during day light hours. Dealer contacted. Dealer informed consumer that nothing could be done.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

May 032002

ES 300

In day light hours when sun is out consumer can't see dials on speedometer, unable to tell how fast vehicle was going. Consumer felt this was very unsafe. Consumer also can not see the fuel gauge, engine speed and engine temperature.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA