2004 Lexus ES 330 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus ES 330:

2004 Lexus ES 330 Owner Comments

Mar 072016

ES 330

Without any incidents, our dashboard light for the airbags came on. The dealer says the entire part is in an electrical housing in the passenger seat and it to be replaced as a whole part at a cost of $4000. A separate mechanic we have used long term says it is the entire drivers seat that needs to be replaced not the passenger side and this one is at a cost of $6000. They both state it's not part of the recent airbag recalls. They know the airbags have not inflated, yet cannot guarantee that they will inflate in the event of an accident. The vehicle has been in our possession as original owners and no one else drives this vehicle. It has never been in an accident or fender bender or anything. The light came on one morning after it had been parked in our driveway all night. We don't park on the street.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Mar 172016

ES 330

The contact owned a 2004 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph and exiting the residence, the vehicle was involved in a crash with another vehicle. The contact stated that the frontal air bags and side curtain air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact suffered minor injuries to the head and neck that did not require medical attention. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 199,999.

- Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Dec 052015

ES 330

Passenger side airbag cover is separating from the dash. I appears to be rising up from its flat position on the dash and I'm afraid it might deploy and injure a passenger. Is this a takata airbag?

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Jun 032013

ES 330

The passenger side airbag is splitting or busting around the top of it, where it attaches to the rest of the dashboard. Not sure how this affects the airbag as far as its performance if in an accident. Or if it continues to split will the airbag deploy.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Jan 012014

ES 330

The passenger side airbag seem to have developed a tear around the top edge. Not sure if this affects the deployment of the airbag. After doing a search on th web this problem is very common for Lexus ES 330 of 2003 onwards

- Dublin, CA, USA

Feb 162015

ES 330

The air bags on the front passenger side is protruding out of the dash. This could be a hazard because the air bag appears that it could be released at anytime.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Oct 232013

ES 330

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag cover was warped. The contact was concerned for his safety. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 012014

ES 330

Around January 2014 (but it could have started sooner) I noticed the front passenger airbag started looking like the edges are peeling away from rest of the dashboard. This has gotten progressively worse. The area around the airbag is pulling away and the airbag itself looks so stretched I fear the airbag is going to deploy. I am afraid to have anyone sit in the front passenger seat. I worry that any bump could cause airbag deployment injuring someone.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 142014

ES 330 6-cyl

There is a crack on the passenger side airbag of my car. It is protruding around the area of the airbag. I took my car to the Lexus dealership on July 14, 2014, for this problem. Only to be told that I would need to replace my dash board and it would cost me over 2,500 dollar. I have never experience anything like this before ever. This is truly a very stressful and uncertainty wondering everytime I get into my car, afraid and hoping that the airbag does not exploded. Based on the recall of my car model, make I need to be contacted on the next action that needs to be taken. I would appreciate your response back. Thank you kindly.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012012

ES 330 6-cyl

No accident- the passenger air bag- the cover is raise and the edges turned up as if ready to open-we fear damage to the passenger or driver -the news today said there is a recall-what do we do.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 292014

ES 330

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that while traveling 20 mph, the vehicle accelerated and when attempting to engage the brakes it failed to respond. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a curb, flipped over and the air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained neck and chest injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer has not been notified. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Conway, AR, USA

Jul 232014

ES 330 6-cyl

While the car was garaged overnight, the passenger side airbag in the dashboard cracked and is now partially exposed. I called Lexus and they asked me to take the car in to my local Lexus dealership. I did. While they reviewed the issue, they also completed service on a recall of the passenger side seat belt. I was then told that the airbag was not covered under warranty, but they would submit a claim to Lexus. The claim was denied. They said, the warranty is six years/70,000 miles. While the car is under 70,000 miles the car is ten years old. The charge to fix the cracked airbag is $3500 my argument to them was: 1. the airbag is not a "wear and tear" item. The airbag is a safety item that should last the lifetime of the car. 2. Lexus fixed the other safety item a seat belt, so they should fix the airbag. 3. Lexus could not guarantee that the airbag would function properly. I informed them that I had two teenagers who are driving and asked: A. will the airbag deploy properly if the car is in an accident" B. will the airbag deploy unexpectedly while driving" Lexus could not answer the questions to my satisfaction. I do believe this is a design flaw in the ES 330 that could potentially harm the driver and passengers.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Apr 242014

ES 330 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that seat occupant sensor had failed and in order to remedy the failure the entire seat needed to be replaced. The dealer reset the air bag light but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure persisted and now had developed a ticking noise that can be heard coming from the passenger air bag. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 67,083. Updated 10/30/14 updated 4/27/2015

- Mabelvale, AR, USA

Mar 082009

ES 330

I drove off the highway, route 50, in annapolis, md, onto an exit ramp leading to ferguson road. I applied the brakes but the car did not slow down. I avoided a car on the ramp in front of me but immediately came to the stop sign at ferguson road. The car had not slowed down and I attempted to make the left turn onto ferguson road, but hit the guard rail and another car in the intersection. The air bags did not deploy. I received a cut on my left hand, a bruise on my right hip from the seat belt buckle and my glasses were knocked off. My wife in the passenger seat received a bruised right ankle and experienced pain in the sternal region. We both walked out of the accident and did not deem it necessary to go to the hospital. My wife's sternal pain has not gone away now 7 days after the accident and she will seek medical advice tomorrow, on March 17. On two occasions prior to this accident I experienced transitory brake failure, but that caused no accident, and right away after that the brake pedal pressure seemed normal and I forgot about those two incidents. The car had all routine scheduled services, the last being a 90,000 mile service on February 11, 2009. I am the original owner. I never received any notification from Lexus about any possible brake malfunction issues with 2004 Lexus ES 330 autos. The car was deemed not worth repairing by the allstate adjuster.

- Annapolis, MD, USA