2005 Lexus ES 330 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Lexus ES 330:

2005 Lexus ES 330 Owner Comments

Jul 012016

ES 330

The front passenger airbag cover is bulging and has separated along the seam nearest the windshield due to shrinkage of the dash. This may impact the deployment of the airbag and cause injury.

- Blue Ridge, GA, USA

Feb 262016

ES 330

Airbag failed to deploy upon frontal collision, vehicle moving straight ahead on neighborhood street..

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Dec 142013

ES 330

The contact owns a 2005 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that while at a stop light, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle causing the contact to crash into the vehicle in front. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an unknown location. The body damages were repaired but the air bag failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000....updated 09/08/16

- Hazletownship, PA, USA

Sep 112015

ES 330 6-cyl

As car in front of me slammed on brakes to avoid two teenagers running across in front of her, I slammed on my brakes and the car accelerated from 20-30. The air bag did not deploy nor did the seat belt engage and lock to prevent me from slamming into the steering wheel. The ABS brakes were slammed and it felt like the brakes did not work like there was an air bubble in the system. I crashed into the Hyundai. Totaled my car and the front of the car frame was bent. Called the police, but did not take a report since no one was taken by ambulance. Went do my doctor and reported this to Lexus-incident number 150922-00272 on 9/22/15. Lexus will inspect the car on 10/9/15...updated 10/15/15...updated 12/03/15

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Feb 282015

ES 330 6-cyl

We were going on a two way street, (old annapolis road, ellicott city, md-21042) another car crossed the two yellow lanes (median) and hit our car head- on. The front portion of our car and that car hit us was completely damaged. The car behind us could not stop and hit our car from the rear. We noted that both the driver side and passenger side air bags in our 2005 Lexus 330 did not deploy. We were going about 30 miles and the person came in to our lane may be 35 to 40 miles. I tried to apply the horn and stop my vehicle but could not come to a complete stop. The other driver probably dozed out, but the air bags in his car deployed. Why the air bags in our car did not deploy?.. updated 03/31/15

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Mar 012012

ES 330

The dashboard is cracking and looks to be expanding. This is happening on the passenger side airbag seam and it started about 3 years ago. I am very concern this may compromise the airbag and safety. I called my local Lexus dealership and corporate headquarters after hearing about many other models being replaced but my model is not on the list. On, many users are experiencing the same thing but I am not sure if they have file a vehicle complaint yet. Here is the link:

- Concord, CA, USA

Feb 222015

ES 330

Passenger side air bag is protruding. The vehicle has never been in an accident but I am now concerned that if one were to ocut, the airbag would not work.

- Black Jack , MO, USA

Apr 022012

ES 330 6-cyl

My wife entered an intersection and was struck by another vehicle in the drivers side door, by another vehicle traveling at 30 mph. The driver's door window exploded on impact and she was hit with flying glass in the face. The driver's door was bent inward approximately 12 inches from the force. We believe she hit her head on the B pillar, because she suffered a concussion and a jagged cut above her left eye. She also suffered a broken left rib in the accident. The vehicle was repaired following the accident. The mechanic who performed the repair noted that there was intrusion on the drivers door, that the lower rocker had been pushed in, and that due to pressure on the B pillar the rear door did not open properly after the accident. This vehicle is equipped with side curtain airs bags which did not deploy during the accident. The owner's manual of the vehicle shows airbag sensors in all four doors of the car. Given the direct hit on the drivers door and the resulting explosion of the drivers window, we feel the side airbags should have deployed, which would have lessened or eliminated the injuries my wife suffered. I informed Toyota motor sales that I was unhappy with the airbag's failure to deploy, and was informed that since "the impact forces were not directed towards the B-pillar, deployment was not warranted". to me this indicates that there are not sensors in the doors as shown in the owner's manual. Additionally, there were forces exerted to the B-pillar in the accident, as noted by the mechanical inspection.

- Hudson, OH, USA

May 072013

ES 330 6-cyl

The Lexus driver (driver 1) was heading southbound on 112th ave SE (in newcastle, wa) approaching the intersection with SE 64th St. She passed through the intersection as it was clear and she had the right of way as the stop sign was intended for the driver who hit her. The 2nd driver said he forgot to look to his left and accelerated forward into his left turn onto 112th ave SE. Driver 2 hit driver 1 in the right front bumper. The airbag failed deploy causing the driver 1 to sustain multiple severe injuries. Such as, neck, shoulder, back, ribs, torso, spine injuries etc....

- Newcastle, WA, USA

Jul 152012

ES 330 6-cyl

I was driving up the street at approximately 25mph, in a 2005 Lexus ES330, when a 74 year old lady pulled out of her driveway right in front of me. Needless to say, we were involved in a wreck. My 2 front teeth hit the steering wheel knocking them completely out! the air bags did not deploy. I have gone online & see that there are several complaints about this year, make & model vehicle & the air bags not deploying. I feel that had the air bags deployed I would not be going through oral surgery to have teeth implanted. The manufacturer needs to take a serious look at this issue, as the wreck could've resulted in a fatality, & the fact that there are so many complaints about these air bags not deploying.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 142011

ES 330

The contact owns a 2005 Lexus ES330. The contact stated that while sitting at a traffic stop, another vehicle crashed into the rear of his vehicle, causing him to crash into the rear of a preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The contact and a passenger were injured and a police report was filed. An authorized dealer was contacted, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 106,000.

- Indianaoplis, IN, USA

Jul 202011

ES 330 6-cyl

The end of July 2011 I had noticed a dashboard light go on. Warning that the air bag was not active. I had a sickness in the family and could not bring this vehicle in to Edison Lexus until 8/23/2011 to have it looked at and fixed. Lexus of Edison said if I replace the original battery ES 330 it would solve the problem with the passenger airbag seat sensor. I did that for about $160 this did not fix the problem! Lexus of Edison said that sensor is part of the seat frame and it would have to be replaced and it would cost to me of $ $3,359.50. I called Lexus directly and they said they would help pay half. I said to Lexus that this is a safety issue and this part should never fail. This should be the manufacturers responsibility to fix this safety issue Lexus federal safety components us warranty for 96 months and 80,000 miles, and restraint systems is 72 months and 70,000 miles. And when I had taken the ES330 to them it was in the above timeframe. I had only approximately 56,224 miles on this vehicle.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 112010

ES 330 6-cyl

I was leaving a car wash (at a busy intersection in penfield, NY), the "car wash" light turned green, I put it in gear and lightly pressed on the gas pedal to approach the workers for them to dry and vacuum the car. There was no floor mat in the drivers front side so that they could vacuum that area. The car speed forward out of control I tried to steer between 2 steel safety post, missed the workers, crossed the sidewalk and 5 lanes of traffic toward a telephone pole, hit the curb, flipped over, I lost consciousness. The car stopped right side up pointing toward the car wash. Car wash employees (and other witnesses) rushed across the street and when I woke up one of the attendants was removing my seat belt and pulling me out through the broken window, there were many witnesses who thought it was a miracle that I was still alive and that the car did not hit any workers, pedestrians or drivers of other vehicles which had now all stopped. No air-bags were released? I was rushed to the hospital. I was released 4 hours later stiff, sore, bruised, minor concussion and told to stay around for a week (we were planning to return to fl the next day) to make sure that there are no serious problems. Police were on site, did a report, fireman were there to clean up the leaks. My insurance co. Has totaled the car. I feel that Lexus should evaluate this car to determine the actual cause, it was not the floor mat, it was in the back seat, nor was it operator error, the car was accelerating out of control and very hard to steer. If the "Lexus" had a mind then it had gone crazy" I have talked to the local Lexus dealer who told me that there are no recalls on this vehicle and read me the party line that there are no problems with the 2005 ES330 Lexus, it's operator error" I guess the other 38 owners of the 2005 ES330 that have postings on this site are all wrong. Based on Toyota (Lexus) attitude I will never buy another product made by Toyota. I am happy to be alive, thank god.

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Nov 062007

ES 330

On Nov. 6, 2007 I was the last vehicle in a four car pile-up. The Honda in front of me was totaled and my 2005 Lexus ES330 had over $10,000 in damage. My concern is that the air bags did not deploy. With such significant damage I was sure they would have protected me but they did not. I am concerned there may be a problem and I will not be protected in the future.

- Ri Linda, CA, USA

Aug 252005

ES 330 6-cyl

We had an accident where a second car missed a stop sign. There was considerable damage to the front end of my car, but the air bags on my car Lexus ES 330 year 2005 did not deploy which they should have. Are the airbags defective on this car?

- River Forest, IL, USA

Jan 182005

ES 330 6-cyl

The air bag light stayed illuminated while driving. The dealer was notified, but has not inspected the vehicle.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA