1.9

2008 Lexus IS 250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Lexus IS 250:

2008 Lexus IS 250 Owner Comments

Jul 282016

IS 250

I took my 2008 Lexus IS250 to the dealer on 7/29/16 for a recall issue that it had I was told my car had a rattling noise coming from my motor I was told it the vvt cam gears I was quoted $3,000 to do this job on my car. I konw there is a recall for this for the Lexus IS350 (13V-395) I wanted now why they have a safety recall for only the IS350 and not the IS250 as well its the same safety issue.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 282016

IS 250

The contact owns a 2008 Lexus Is 250. The contact stated that the engine would not idle and all the warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle made abnormal noises when shifted into gear. Prior to this failure, the vehicle was remedied per NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V647000 (fuel system, gasoline) and 13V030000(visibility/wiper). The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Trinidad, CA, USA

Feb 192016

IS 250

The contact owns a 2008 Lexus Is 250. The contact stated that the vehicle was not experiencing any failure before being taken to the dealer for a manufacturer recall regarding the engine misfiring. The dealer had the vehicle for longer than a week. When the vehicle was driven by the contact after the repairs, it overheated and stalled. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The recall remedy did not repair the condition. The manufacturer was notified. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Jan 012014

IS 250

Cam gear problems. When start the engine, there was a rattle sound for a second, this problem had been recall for Lexus IS350 but not IS250!!!!! and there are thousands of IS250 owners complaint the same problem as IS350, this problem may stop the engine while running, which is very dangerous. Here is the link for IS250 owners complaint: www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/654738-cam-gear-rattle.html

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 022015

IS 250 6-cyl

On my 2008 Lexus Is 250 at cold start it makes a rattling noise I was wondering why they only have the recall for this for the is 350 only. I know its the vvt actuator gear that is causing it.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 222014

IS 250 6-cyl

Cam gear noise while start up. Is 350 had a recall for that, but not for Is 250.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 042013

IS 250

The contact owns a 2008 Lexus Is 250. The contact stated that the engine was making a loud noise and the vehicle was shaking. Also, the contact mentioned the vehicle overheated and would shut off while at a red light. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the engine misfired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Sep 032013

IS 250 6-cyl

September 20, 2012 I experienced my first misfire issue with my 2008 Lexus Is 250. As I accelerated to approx 65 mph to entire a busy highway on ramp, I lost all acceleration in my vehicle. As this happened, I had the check engine light flashing, my check vsc indicator displaying, and my traction control light illuminating. I called Lexus, they advised that the car needed be towed in and the began to run the codes that were tripped. It was determined that I had extreme carbon build up in the engine, which was causing my engine to misfire. They did the "cleaning repair" which involved taking the engine apart, and sending a bunch of parts to a machine shop where they cleaned the heads & pistons. In total, I was without my car for over a month! fast forward to September 3, 2013. I now have 73,000 miles on my car, and the same thing happened again this evening as I was accelerating to approx 40 mph. This time I was on a busy 5 lane road, and lost all acceleration and had to essentially "coast" across 5 lanes of rush hour traffic to get to safety on the shoulder of the road. I immediately called Lexus, and once again they advised me that my car needed to be towed in. Today my service advisor contacted me to inform me that once again I have carbon build up in my engine and that it is misfiring. Unfortunately now, my car is beyond the 70,000 mile drive train warranty. He is working with corporate to see what my next steps are, but I refuse to pay for these repairs, and I do not feel that I should have to since it is essentially a repeat malfunction of an existing issue! it should also be noted that my is has been into the dealership 3X for engine noise/rough start up since I had the repairs completed last year. Every time, I was told that they logged the issue, but were unable to replicate it.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 042012

IS 250 6-cyl

As I was attempting to accelerate, the vsc light and check engine light came on, the car lost power, would not accelerate, and the engine started misfiring.

- Kailua Kona, HI, USA