1.9

2006 Lexus IS 350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Lexus IS 350:

2006 Lexus IS 350 Owner Comments

Apr 102016

IS 350

Electronic power steering locked up out of the blue while driving. Very dangerous. Almost seemed as if steering was fighting to turn the direction opposite of the direction I was turning.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Nov 032015

IS 350

There have been multiple accidents due to the electric P/S failing, including a near miss when my frail wife lost the assist. In my search for the cause, I have found that Lexus is replacing the entire steering rack as the "fix". Lexus is simply installing a replacement steering rack that has the same manufacturing defect as the original steering rack, costing some owners $1000 plus. After a few years, the replacement power steering rack will fail, just as the original did. When I purchased my Lexus, it was already 10 years old. That caused me to decide to find the cause of the P/S failure and repair it myself, if at all possible. Each time there was a failure of the P/S assist, I found that if I shut the power off and restarted the engine the problem would be gone. However, it was just a temporary fix. The more often the problem recurred, the interval between failures was less. I found that one particular electrical connector on the P/S rack has 4 very small pins in it. In fact, they are too small for the female part of the fitting. The mating of the 2 parts of the connector should have a snug fit. They don't! without a snug connection, oxidation occurs. That prevents the current from going through the connector as well as it should. Cleaning the connection will temporarily allow the P/S rack to function properly, but only until the oxidation recurs. De-mating and re-mating the connector will have the same effect. That will only work for a short period of time, eventually causing multiple failures in a single day. My repair was to snug up the 4 fittings by inserting a small strand of copper wire in each of the four female connections. It has now been 3.5 months without a failure. Lexus should modify the faulty parts and initiate a recall before someone is killed!

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Dec 012013

IS 350

Extremely disappointed by a couple of issues Lexus refuses to fix. I bought this car with 84K on the odometer and less than a year after that all these problems arise. The steering Is safety issue that needs to be replaced asap. Driving anything over 50 mph the steering starts to become notchy at the center and at times difficult to keep in a straight line. The steering wheel whines as I turn almost as if something Is about to break. Lexus quoted me $3000 to replace the electric power steering which Is absolutely ridiculous. I would love to replace it but $3000 dollars on a part that shouldn't have broken anytime soon Is very disappointing. Then to make matters worse there Is a known engine leak. The timing chain cover leaks oil and the dealer quoted me $5000 dollars to fix it. That Is $8000 dollars worth of repairs for two problems that Lexus needs to recognize. This doesn't include the other very common problems such as the navigation screen melting in the summer time so that it Is inoperable. Now the dashboard becomes sticky and shiny making it hard to see in the daytime and it chips so easily. Im extremely disappointed due to the fact that Lexus usually makes solid vehicles. Many other owners are facing the same issues and they need to be recognized.

- Gaithersburg , MD, USA

Nov 202014

IS 350 6-cyl

The Lexus 2006 IS350 has electric power steering problems. The problem caused by defected ECU component. I brought it to Lexus car dealer and they requested $500 just to look at it. It's too expensive. This car company is irresponsible. Don't buy Lexus car!!!! they can't make Lexus steering reliable. Request: Lexus must fix this issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 072014

IS 350 6-cyl

The electrical power steering failed. It's hard to make turn. Diagnositics indicate failure due to faulty electrical components. Asked Lexus dealer fix but refused.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 242013

IS 350 6-cyl

When I left my home for work, I of course used my door handle to pull the door shut. I didn't realize that my hand transferred the residue to the wheel. When I made my left turn, I expected my wheel to glide through my hand, as it normally does, when coming out of the corner. Instead, as the wheel slid through my hand it caught the sticky patch and kept my car in a left turn. There was a car immediately next to me but slightly behind me(both lanes make a left) and as I crossed into his lane (completely cutting him off) he slammed on the brakes and hit his horn.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Nov 012009

IS 350

Had ssc 9lc (electric power steering link assembly replacement) performed and the steering feel has been adversely affected, where the on-center steering feel at freeway speeds is vague. Furthermore, when turning the wheel on gradual turns, I feel a non-linear resistance moving from the on-center position to one side or the other. The sensation makes the steering feel disconnected with the wheels, where I'll turn the steering wheel an amount that I feel is appropriate to negotiate the gradual turn, yet the vehicle will continue to track on its original course.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 192008

IS 350

Lost the ability to steer the vehicle there was an internal power steering failure which resulted in the replacement of the power steering rack assembly.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA