2008 Lexus LS 460 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Lexus LS 460:

2008 Lexus LS 460 Owner Comments

Sep 102015

LS 460

The contact owns a 2008 Lexus LS460. The contact stated that the vehicle independently surged forward at a high rate of speed without warning. The contact applied force to the brake pedal, but the failure recurred without warning. While at a stop with the brake pedal applied, the contact's vehicle surged forward and crashed into the preceding vehicle, which then crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop by the insurance company who repaired the body damages to the front of the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed by an authorized dealer to determine the failure. A police report was filed. The driver sustained whiplash that required medical attention. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 01/20/16

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Apr 172015

LS 460

The contact owns a 2008 Lexus LS460. While attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and caused the contact to crash into two vehicles. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 042006

LS 460

As I was driving into my home garage, my car suddenly accelerated on its own and eventually crashed in the back wall of the garage. Depressing the brakes failed to stop the vehicle before crashing. Prior to the crashing incident, the unintended acceleration happened at least two other times but the vehicle eventually stopped before an impact. Around the end of March 2014, my brake lights came on and I then took the car to Toyota for repairs. Thereafter, I reported the crash incident to Lexus who then had the vehicle inspected on April 9, 2014. The Toyota eaa inspector sent me a memory stick with the edr data (crash data) from my vehicle but would not provide an analysis or interpretation of the data and subsequently denied my claim for the damage incurred to my car.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Aug 282014

LS 460 8-cyl

I drove my car over to pick my grandson up we went to the park, when I was taking him home the vsc code came on and said take care to dealer for service, engine light came on as well. I call and made an appointment immediately and they told me to leave the vehicle and they would run diagnostics see what was causing it. The next day they cleared the code called and told me to pick up. When I was leaving the same lights came on again (engine, vsc etc). Got out of the car and told service rep. That the same thing was happening again. I left the car over the weekend and they call and said it was a communication error and the computer wasn't communicating with the parking brake. I truly believe this is a safety issue and should be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 012011

LS 460 8-cyl

After the vehicle has an oil change, the car will (intermittently) hesitate to accelerate. This is especially dangerous when you are trying to merge into the freeway or similar occasions. When attempted to depress the gas pedal with expectation that the car will respond and accelerate as normal, the engine just revs up and the vehicle doesn't move any faster than current speed. This will continue for 5-10 seconds then it kicks in. This delays is very dangerous when you want to get out of harms way (accelerate to merge into freeway, passing etc). The problem is intermittent and will go away by itself within a few hundred miles (but will come back sporadically). All this happens by itself and cannot be reproduce at will. However the occurrences often happen after oil change or so (but not necessary). I have bought the car into the Lexus dealership(s) to fix (yes 5 times at different dealership) but they cannot fix this issue.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Sep 022010

LS 460

On September 2, 2010, while driving my Lexus LS460, I was sitting in traffic at a complete stop with my foot on the brake. Suddenly the car began revving at a very high rate. Luckily, I was able to keep my foot firmly down on the brake & shift the car into neutral so that it didn't "jump" forward and hit the truck that was stopped ahead of me. I immediately contacted the Lexus dealership that I purchased my car from and was put on the line w/ the general manager of the service department. He told me that I must have had my foot on the gas pedal. I told him that this was impossible since I was at a stop directly behind a stopped truck. He said that the black boxes of all the cars that had previously complained of this problem had been checked and that it had all been found to be driver error. It is without a doubt that I was not pushing the accelerator when this happened, my foot was on the brake pedal, or I would have smashed into the truck that was less than 3 feet ahead of me. I attempted to send a letter to the department of transportation on that date but it was returned to me due to not having an Agency or room number. I am simply trying to make both Lexus and others aware of what occurred.

- Melville, NY, USA

Jun 162010

LS 460

Sudden unintended acceleration in a parking lot. Required both feet with extreme pressure to stop vehicle even after it collided with and pushed another, unoccupied vehicle sideways one entire parking slot. Driver and 3 passengers in vehicle at time of incident.

- Allison Park, PA, USA