2004 Lexus RX 330 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus RX 330:

2004 Lexus RX 330 Owner Comments

Jan 012014

RX 330

My dashboard has been recalled and mine is split and keeps getting larger especially where the passenger airbag is located. Lexus told me in July 2015 that the "dashboards will be released at the end of this month." That did not happen. The response that I received as to whether my airbags were takata, Lexus responded, "unfortunately we do not have data on the manufacturer....but can assure you that...the airbags...are not under any recall at this time." I am suppose to feel good driving my car with that statement" they have always known every part in my car by VIN #. I am also driving around with the headlights' excessive moisture after they finally could replace those. Alluding me that I would be able to get the dashboard fixed at the end of July, I held off get that repaired until I could do all three. Now, I believe that the headlights' repair will be at my expense. When is going to enforce the recalls? I & many others are driving death vehicles!!! are my children going to have to sue both you & Lexus for neglect? I, & numerous others, thought that we were paying you to protect us. When are you going to protect us instead of just recording our issues"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012014

RX 330

My 2004 Lexus RX330 has horrible paint issues on the front bumper. Paint started chipping off in huge sections and it looks terrible. This has only happened on the front bumper and the rear view mirrors. Seems like the paint is defective in these area's. so disappointed. Also the transmission is messed up. Seems like it hops in between 1-2 RPM. I even had the transmission rebuilt and it still didn't fix the issue. It still does it. I have heard that this is a major issue with these vehicles.

- Owasso, OK, USA

May 152013

RX 330

The dashboard is disintegrating. The car has been predominantly kept covered and well maintained. Initially a large piece (credit card size) broke off dash. We repaired with vinyl restoration company, and another area about a year later. Since then, numerous cracks are present - too many to repair. This is not normal wear!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jun 092014

RX 330

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus RX330. The contact indicated that there was an intermittent leak coming from the moon roof causing mold to develop within the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer on several occasions. The technician was not able to remedy the failure. The vehicle was taken to another authorized dealer who indicated that there was a rear body seam leak and that the right front moon drain was improperly routed. The dealer resealed the right front moon roof drain and rerouted it, along with resealing both tail lamp buckets. The failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician stated that the carpet needed to be replaced. The contact was not able to drive the vehicle due to the continuing leak and mold. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 01/07/14

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jan 182012

RX 330

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus RX330. The contact stated the dashboard had developed a crack and started to melt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician declined to repair or diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Aug 182013

RX 330 6-cyl

I was driving southbound on the 405 in los angeles. I was beginning to change lanes and was looking into my driver's side rear view mirror when I observed the molding come off of the left rear quarter panel window and strike the hood and windshield of the car behind me. It occurred to me how dangerous this could have been if a motorcyclist had been following me. It could have easily hit him or her directly in the face. In researching the internet for a price on the molding, I have since learned a large number of RX330 owners have had this issue. Additionally, I have learned that Lexus does not sell the molding separately. Instead, they sell the entire window assembly, and I have seen postings of some owners paying as much as $400 to have a dealer replace the window. This item should not be regularly launching itself off of these vehicles endangering others on the roadway. Lexus should be retrofitting these vehicles with improved mounting for this molding instead of charging owners for the company's mistake. With the number of these vehicles on the road, it seems it is only a matter of time before someone following one of these vehicles is injured or worse.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 172013

RX 330 6-cyl

Front end collision in 2004 Lexus rx 330 with 206,000 miles going approximately 55 mph. Car is totaled per insurance adjuster. Driver and three children in car. No serious injuries. No airbags deployed. Have contacted Lexus and am awaiting answer. Car has been to dealership several times since purchased and nothing mentioned about airbag issue.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jan 192012

RX 330

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus RX330. The contact stated that there were cracks on the dashboard on top of the air bag and other locations. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but the dealer provided no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Clairmont, FL, USA

Mar 142010

RX 330

At freeway speed of 65 mph a loud pop was heard from the right rear "C" pillar area. Upon examination it was observed that the plastic molding around the "C" pillar glass and framing had popped out and was dangling on one edge. Pulled the vehicle over at a safe spot and observed the molding had popped clean from it's frame as if someone had neatly pushed it out from the inside. If this piece had completely left it's place, it may have hit another vehicle in the windshield that was behind or adjacent to me.

- Hudson, OH, USA